White Mountains Hostel closing

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
They just announced they are no longer taking reservations and are closing. They credited the hardship caused by the pandemic.

I’m fortunate to be part of Subsig, which is hiking’s best kept secret, but it does require a social temperament. I know the hostel filled the gap for many others.

Brian

Interesting, I was hiking with a group last weekend and some of the folks were commenting how the service and cleanliness had degraded and that the workers there were not very friendly. They were all looking for alternatives

That's a shame. I've stayed there several times over the past few years. Didn't realize they were in such dire straits.

I think the alternative being discussed are joining the various ski clubs who reportedly are always looking for paying members to use the faculties in the off season. I have heard this in the past but since its of little interest to me I have never looked into which clubs do this.

I think the alternative being discussed are joining the various ski clubs who reportedly are always looking for paying members to use the faculties in the off season. I have heard this in the past but since its of little interest to me I have never looked into which clubs do this.

This is a good place to start if you need more info on the Ski Clubs. This is the body that oversees the interaction among the clubs. Many of the Clubs are for Singles only but not all. They share many different resources among themselves. They have a lot of fun and cooperate collectively in a positive manner. Many of the clubs not only ski but bike, hike, paddle and fish. A lot of them do trail work also. https://www.eicsl.org/clubs.html

That's a shame, I've stayed their many times throughout the years including bring a group of scouts there in 2015. In the last couple of years when looking for a single night I've stayed at Top of the Notch as it was a bit nicer and recently (last few years) renovated. It's also easier to get to from CT not that Conway was hard to reach.

The ski clubs are an interesting idea. I wonder how they would be with groups. I imagine like all things it would only take one group not to pick up after themselves to ruin it for the rest. (ie, the one litterbug dropping their trash, the one Mt Biker, motorcyclist or ATV rider who thinks marked prohibited hiking trails are for them, the one drunk snowmobiler, okay their may be more than one drunk snowmobiler.)

That's a shame, I've stayed their many times throughout the years including bring a group of scouts there in 2015. In the last couple of years when looking for a single night I've stayed at Top of the Notch as it was a bit nicer and recently (last few years) renovated. It's also easier to get to from CT not that Conway was hard to reach.

The ski clubs are an interesting idea. I wonder how they would be with groups. I imagine like all things it would only take one group not to pick up after themselves to ruin it for the rest. (ie, the one litterbug dropping their trash, the one Mt Biker, motorcyclist or ATV rider who thinks marked prohibited hiking trails are for them, the one drunk snowmobiler, okay their may be more than one drunk snowmobiler.)
If there was a problem with the Ski Clubs In The MWV environmentally it would have come of light by now. Most of the clubs have a long history dating back to the years of the Snow Trains coming up from Boston. If anything as I already mentioned they contribute a lot to the Valley including a lot of volunteering for trail work and cleanups.Any bad eggs would have been sorted out by now.

If there was a problem with the Ski Clubs In The MWV environmentally it would have come of light by now. Most of the clubs have a long history dating back to the years of the Snow Trains coming up from Boston. If anything as I already mentioned they contribute a lot to the Valley including a lot of volunteering for trail work and cleanups.Any bad eggs would have been sorted out by now.

Sorry, you misunderstood me. I love the clubs. My question is, if they were to open up the buildings which tend to be empty most of the Spring, summer and fall to hikers, all it would take is one group of non-skiers (say a FB group) using the club building for a weekend and leave it a mess to have the club decide not to be open for non-skiers again.

Sorry, you misunderstood me. I love the clubs. My question is, if they were to open up the buildings which tend to be empty most of the Spring, summer and fall to hikers, all it would take is one group of non-skiers (say a FB group) using the club building for a weekend and leave it a mess to have the club decide not to be open for non-skiers again.
Yes I did misunderstand you and I think your point is valid. They are pretty much members only already exactly for that reason. Doubtful they would Would open to the public. Most of the clubs take great pride in their club and are continually working on them. Many of the clubs rooms are multiple occupancy but the same members use the same room all the time. Therefore their is a roommate mentality. Within that most the bylaws of the club are to maintain your space if not upgrade and personalize it. Again doubtful in that respect that members would want to relinquish their space to outsiders. Again these folks are not just skiers and the spaces are utilize more year round by members than some would realize.