Kahtoola k10s and trail runners?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiny Norman

Reaction score
How light a shoe can you get away with using the Kahtoola K10 or Hillsound Trail crampons or similar? Anyone tried putting a piece of plastic bw the outsole and the crampon to ameliorate the spike pressure on your feet? thanks

I wear them with trail runners (La Sportive Primer Low) all the time; no discomfort. Haven't tried them with sandals...

If they are properly fitted and secured in place, the spikes are facing downward. You should be ok with regular sneakers. But it's winter you're talking about, so...

I think we should cut Tom some slack seeing how he is heavily involved with "Views And Brews" and was probably in the middle of a research project when he made those comments.... :p

Whenever I tried wearing light shoes in weather cold enough to need traction, my feet would get cold.

I have found with trail runners I can control the radiational cooling with socks and gaiters and that the EVA foam soles greatly reduce the convectional cooling thru the soles. My packed trail shoes are nike trail runners with sheet metal screws insoles as studs.