Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No More Parking at Lowes Store

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Why aren't there more/any food trucks at trail heads?? My wife and I talk about this whenever we are up there. Seems like an absolute no-brainer on FRI/SAT/SUN and holiday weekends. Are there permit/legal issues for food trucks in NH?
    My guess it would depend on the Trailhead. Within the National Forest I would expect some sort of Permit to operate as a Concession might be needed. Other trailheads not within the forest would most likely be left up to local ordinances. In the Conways Food Trucks although not at trailheads we’re doing quite well the Summer of 2019. Although they were subjected to permitting. Each individual food truck was only allowed to stay in one location for two weeks. The model was working pretty good and was fueling some local entrepreneurialism even at the High School level. I would think that Ski Areas could benefit from some food trucks but also would be subject to permitting. Personally I find the whole culture to be quite fun.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

You'd need a trailhead with enough room for walking space and for a truck. Considering we're parking on the parkway and all over Mt. Clinton Road and Lincoln Woods is packed early on weekends and weekdays in the summer. Ski areas, and the Cog may be the only areas with enough room. Now if they had them at Marcy Field and the Van Hovenberg Sled Center with an active shuttle, you might drive some shuttle fans. This may be better when you feel better being maskless in a bus eating and with other people.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Most NH towns have transient business regulations mostly to prevent nuisance businesses from popping up. The town requires a permit within certain conditions to operate. Its costly to have a fixed business and the local business owners that potentially compete with the food trucks generally object. Some towns in the north country like Conway have passed food truck specific regulations. There was a food truck working the Gorham area but they were mostly working the farmers market and the ATV trade and have recently moved into a closed business. The Road Hawg BBQ started out as food truck that worked the fair circuit and then settled in Gorham. I have been surprised that the ATV complex along RT 110 has not generated more food truck traffic.

I don't see the national forest embracing food trucks. In theory its possible under a special use permit, but that is major effort that can take years. My guess is the ski areas with a existing permit and infrastructure could add food trucks year round and the state could easily trucks to the Tramway complex, but given there is a state concession in the Tram building,why bring in competition?. My guess is Lafayette place would be another story as I think the state is very limited to what they can do there. The joke is the ski areas have far more impact on the forest than a parking lot full of food trucks yet they pay a minimal amount of money for the right to impact large blocks of public land.

On the other hand the Lowe's complex is on private land and outside the WMNF boundary. Its a disturbed site with safe highway access in an area with high traffic in general and a steady stream of hikers. My guess is anyone hiking along RT2 would be willing to stop at a cluster of food trucks rather than driving to Twin Mtn to stop at the store on their way home.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    IMO, a paved spot with electrical hookups and porta potties and space for several food trucks would be ideal for hiker traffic.
    Yeah, it would probably be a shame if a big tourist to do happened on the flats. There is always the danger of some such attempt to open the door to some cheesy tourist attraction. We have a couple food trucks working Bethlehem the past couple years, and I'm not sure what the deal is as one would park right in front of and now to the side of WREN and the Cold Mt. Cafe, and I think they were cooperating. Then they were in front the post office and Maya Papaya which I found irritating since they were obstructing access to the postal box I used almost daily after hours on my commute home. That seemed to only last a short time as I think the town said something.

One of the things that slowed down their business at Lowes, is that Alan and his son in law Kevin stopped doing heavy rescue towing a few years back. They sold off their heaviest rig, and they kept a lighter one last I knew. Kevin is the road agent in town last I knew, so it was just too much dealing with calls at random hours along with the responsibilities of the roads.

An update as of 5/14/21 from the RMC's Facebook Page:Attention Hikers!
    With the snow gone, the Lowe family is graciously allowing folks to park at their store again. There are no fees, but please show your gratitude by keeping the lot neat and packing out all your trash.
    Please note that the store, it’s services and it’s bathrooms are not available at this time. Plan ahead!
    Have a safe weekend everyone!
    Last edited by skiguy; 05-15-2021 at 02:40 PM.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey