Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Denali 2015 Trip Report - A Retrospective

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    Thanks for your efforts to write this up and sharing with us! Besides the personal problems and experiences your narrative and photos do an excellent job of showing us what such an expedition is like.
    On #67 of NE67
    On #100 of NEHH
    On #46 of WNH48

An atom walked up to me and said "I think I've lost an electron"
    I said "Are you sure?"
    It reply "I'm positive."

Thanks Mark for sharing your experiences in such vivid detail. Congratulations as well on your Denali summit and 50 high points, but boy what a harrowing tale. I can't imagine descending from Denali Pass in such a state but it sounds like you had a great team with you to help and perhaps were faring better than on Pig Hill. I'm glad to hear the incident hasn't derailed you from climbing. There's far more fine climbs on beautiful mountains to be had than we mortals can possibly hope to climb in a lifetime. Keep on keepin' on...
    All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    -J. R. R. Tolkien

Once again, thanks for the incredible feedback, Jazzbo and Bombadil! Your words are very meaningful to me.

I’ve been caught a bit off-guard by the interest that some have expressed in my report. So glad that it has offered a glimpse into what a guided expedition on Denali is really like. Beyond that, I hope I have contributed something to the Man versus Nature struggle that lives within all of us.

I gotta say I have mixed feelings about the guides. Granted you weren't completely forthcoming about your symptoms, and at some point they did overrule you and get you down, but they could have done more, earlier. Short-roping a stumbling client on a traverse is some cowboy shit, and I about punched the screen reading their radio reports of "oh, everything's fine"

Thanks Dave! Your comments are my favorite (no offense to anyone else).

I read them aloud at dinner to my wife, who remembered you.

Thanks so much for reading the report! And yeah, I get 100 percent of what you are saying. Was just one of those things that no one exactly expected to happen. And then yet it did.

Took a long time to read this (I mean to start reading it) but it was very much worth it. Thank you for writing.

PS Excellent job telling the story. One of the hardest jobs for a writer is knowing when the narrator can keep quiet to let suspense build or to allow other points of view to be heard. Adding the radio reports without any comment was masterful.

Grew up wanting to be a writer but somehow wound up where I am.

I appreciate the compliment.

Wow!

All of this.

So glad to have had the people around me who were there that day!

https://www.businessinsider.com/insi...hUAqd8QOgF5DOc

Quote Originally Posted by Puma concolor View Post
    Wow!

All of this.

So glad to have had the people around me who were there that day!

https://www.businessinsider.com/insi...hUAqd8QOgF5DOc
    Most interesting but not surprising personality dynamics. Climbing with others can bring out the best and the worst in people. Going guided on a big trip of this sort can certainly be challenging socially but hooking up on the fly on the mountain itself certainly is in another league. My first trip to Denali was with a guided trip that really melded well on the social dynamic which I considered a stroke of luck. Although some are not so lucky. I have read some accounts of things becoming ornery on the way out in the last days of some of these expeditions. Pent up disagreements and personalties can become unglued especially if some made the Summit and others didn’t. Mark I’m glad you were lucky to hook up with a well adjusted group and have gone onto climb with some of them again.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

If I could go back in time and pay twice as much as I did for the cost of my guided climb, I’m quite sure I would.

These guys went 0 for 4 on the summit, one fell all the way down the Autobahn and another lost in court. Just wow.

Thanks, skiguy!
    Last edited by Puma concolor; 07-30-2022 at 05:09 PM.