Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Entire Gunstock Mountain Staff resigns

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...e54e0e79c.html

I don't know much about Mike Sylvia but if this is accurate his effort to discredit the meeting on Monday seems like nothing more than obstructionism (except of course for the part about instructing David Strang not to resign, which is pure despotism).

Keep an eye on these guys!
    Add life to your years!

Quote Originally Posted by Scubahhh View Post
    https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...e54e0e79c.html

I don't know much about Mike Sylvia but if this is accurate his effort to discredit the meeting on Monday seems like nothing more than obstructionism (except of course for the part about instructing David Strang not to resign, which is pure despotism).

As mentioned earlier in this thread Ski Areas come in many different flavors. That's what I like about MRG. We keep an eye on each other.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by Scubahhh View Post

I don't know Sylvia either, but calling him a despot is a bit much. The commissioner in question was appointed by Sylvia and his fellow reps, and as far as I've read, actual cause for removal was never established.

It was also legitimate to question if Monday's meeting was valid, particularly if this sets precedent. Last year, the commission sued to try to take away the delegation's ability to remove commissioners. Fast forward a few months and now the commission is demanding the delegation remove commissioners, and to do so outside of normal meeting notice.

I'm glad that Gunstock is (hopefully) back on course, but both sides made some decisions that may have negative long-term ramifications.

I don't think this is a case of both sides did some things wrong. IMO, it's pretty clear that one side instigated this fight, they lost, and they deserved to lose.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

Best of luck. Sometimes you just got to start over and find a new beginning.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A47F3A31-AF2E-4275-8BD8-AC571035FA18.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	6886
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

From afar, I want to point out an alternative view. I could see some legitimate friction with respect to the proposed major expansion of the ski area onto the south face of the mountain given the changing climate between an operating team and an oversight board. Unlike Les Otten's claimed "special climate zone" up at the Balsams (same weather track as Jay Peak),the Belknap's have been seeing consistently less snow and warming temps. Multiple dog sled events have been canceled in that region due to lack of snow and the ice fishing season on the nearby lakes is getting shorter yearly. All indications are that at some point sooner than later, the ski area will go into decline due to climate change. One approach is to focus on the short term and not worry about the future. My speculation is this expansion will not be done in one shot off of operating revenues and therefore there could be loans/bonds that will finance the expansion, this is legitimate cause for public discourse as ultimately the county is on the hook for long term indebtedness. There is also the environmental impact to the land. The expansion is onto land that currently is woodlands that do not appear to have been aggressively managed for timber sales and may be approaching mature to old growth characteristics. In addition to the actual expansion onto the south slope, no doubt there may be interest to add access to the south side of the slope and that will drive commercial development on the roads to the access. On more than one occasion a successful management team focused on building up an enterprise will be far too concentrated on the act of building for the short term rather than looking at overall impacts and may so to speak "not see the forest for the trees". A properly operating oversight group would legitimately have the long term in mind and there could be some friction between a hired manager focused on the short term as he will be long gone before the loans/bonds are paid off.

Sadly, given the description of personalities from afar I do not attribute such lofty goals to the current mess, it does seem to be long term power play clumsily handled by one side with a clear winner. The question is, will the reconfigured Gunstock commission become a rubber stamp board for the growth ambitions of the resort? Will the long term view be ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    I don't think this is a case of both sides did some things wrong. IMO, it's pretty clear that one side instigated this fight, they lost, and they deserved to lose.
    Tell that to the front line staff who felt like pawns in a political fight. Both sides made some decisions that may have negative long-term ramifications.

A good overview on the background of the Gunstock mess and how its not just Gunstock being impacted.

https://newhampshirebulletin.com/202...d-a-reckoning/

The craziness is headed for us all if we don't pay attention.

"Strang and Ness maintain that Tom Day’s administration was involved in illegal financial wrongdoing, claims that have not been substantiated. "

"such as when Strang instructed the chief financial officer not to comply with a routine annual audit."

Ummmmm, interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    "Strang and Ness maintain that Tom Day’s administration was involved in illegal financial wrongdoing, claims that have not been substantiated. "

"such as when Strang instructed the chief financial officer not to comply with a routine annual audit."

Ummmmm, interesting.
    My understanding is the "routine annual audit" was paused because an audit committee was formed to oversee one instead. Management resigned hours after receiving the information request for that audit.

I am not aware of Ness or Strang publicly alleging "illegal financial wrongdoing." A member of the delegation has publicly alleged that the audits will show "egregious" wrongdoing. Yet, two of the members of the audit committee stated last week that they did not allege there was wrongdoing, that the audit was still in process, and that the firm conducting it had not yet shared its findings.