Dix slides: Which one?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hello,
I probably should of asked this before going up one of the slides last Saturday...would of saved me a long dense bushwhack hehehe. When doing the Dix slide, which one are you supposed to do? If I recall correctly, there are 4-5 slides. We did the second one from the right, bushwhacked for a good hour and a half going uphill after the slide, didn't come across any herd paths (or should I say, we came across a million and one useless herd paths?). When we finally reached an opening, we could see the summit 1km away or so. Friends wanted to go back down "NOW", so we turned around and headed for another slide and then headed down.

Long, hard, day. Plenty of cuts on the legs and I'll smell pine fresh for the next week. Fun day!

Fish

Hikingfish

Did you climb the slide that the Dix Mt trail (from rte 73, ADK Guide trail #46) crosses? I've climbed part way up that slide with my son. On the Northerly face of the mt there are several slides. I believe the one that crosses the trail would lead you closest to the summit. I heard that it is very thick up there, but people have done it.

There's also some slides that can be reached from herd paths in the South Fork Boquet River drainage. I think these are found on East Dix. These paths leave rt 73 just nw of cranberry pond.

The most commonly climbed slide on Dix, which leads you close to the summit, is the slide which faces Elk Lake. the slides on the Boquet side mostly require a stiff bushwhack at the top.

A nice, very seldom climbed slide that leads near the top is the narrow slide that runs NE from the Beckhorn. You can access this via the Boquet River "Hunter's Herd Path" mentioned below. 0.2 miles after the "Rock of Gibralter," the trail turns left and crosses a brook. If you break off the trail there, and follow the brook upstream, it will bring you to the base of this slide. There is one small cliff barrier at mid height (about 12 feet high) but you can scramble around it. At the top of the slide, a brutally tight bushwhack (but only about 100 feet long) leads to the Beckhorn.

TCD

hikingfish said:
Hi Tracker,
We left from route 73, somewhat close to Chapel Pond and Giant trailhead. Trail was supposed to be 6.8 miles one way.

If you go up those slides, you'll have quite a bushwhack to get to the summit. But you know that now. The slides reachable (but not crossing the trail) from Elk Lake/Hunters Pass trail bring you real close to the summit.

The one you did is a popular slide for skiing, though.