Dolomites - Part 4 - Mountain Biking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Poobah Emeritus
Reaction score
Yet another part. Old threads: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.

We headed East from Passo Falzarego to the Olympic hosting village of Cortina d'Ampezzo. We decided that our first adventure in Cortina would be mountian biking. We found a small bike shop on the north side of town and rented a pair of hardtails with Shimano components (?!?!?!?! isn't this Italy ?!?!?!?). And I thought I was finally going to be able to ride a bike with Campy parts. Oh well.

We headed north from the shop on trail #208, which follows an old railroad bed. It didn't take long to get some incredible views. I'm not a big fan of rail trails, because I really like technical singletrack, but the views and tunnels on this trail made up for it. The route went around the Gruppe del Pomagagnon and Cristallo mountains and was fairly flat.

About halfway between the old train stations of Ospitale and Cimabanche, we left the rail trail and headed West on some double track that heads up to Forcella Lerosa. Forcella Lerosa is a high mountain plateau between Croda de r'Ancona and Croda Rossa mountians. It is a 2000' gain from the valley up to Forcella Lerosa but when we finally got there the trail leveled out. Yahoo!

Croda Rossa is a very impressive wall of rock on the North side of the meadow. The panoramic view is amazing.

We continued West and the views just got better and better.

Taking trail #8, we began our descent to Scuro valley on the far side of Lerosa. We dropped over a thousand feet while trying to navigate the very tight switchbacks. Some of the switchbacks had serious drops so a good deal of care was needed. About halfway down we could see the trails and Rifugio Ra Stua in the valley below. We rode to the Rifugio and had a nice lunch of spec and cheese sandwiches, a salad, and a Diet Coke. L-I-V-I-N!

On the decent from Ra Stua back towards Cortina, we passed Taburlo, a huge mass of a mountain. The scale is just impossible to show in a photo.

As we headed back to town, we looked back up to where we had ridden. Our route covered about 20 miles and the entire way was amazing. Mountain biking was the perfect way to cover that much distance in about 6 hours.

That evening we sat by the river near our tent and enjoyed an amazing sunset with incredible alpenglow on the nearby peaks.

Next up...more Via Ferrata near Cortina.

- darren

That route pic looks like you traversed some sheer rock faces!

What kind of bike did they rent you over there???

I want one!

cb

No.....the dashed lines are where we were behind the mountains you see. No riding on sheer rock faces. Although the decent down to Ra Stua was pretty exciting. Tight switchbacks with 200' drops on the outside. Hooo wah!

The bikes were pretty crappy. No name frame, low end deore shimano components, and a crappy fork, but who cares. It was awesome and it wasn't like we were riding some tight, technical, New England singletrack.

It was a blast. We were sucking wind on the ascent though. It is tough coming from sea level (I think my house is at 60').

- darren

I don't think Campy makes MTB parts.

You should come over to my place someday. in 2003, I bought a Look 386i with full Campy Record on it what is just sooo damm sweet.... What a wonderful ride. I really like CF when compared to a Ti bike, the Ti bike is very comfy but at the price of feeling more comfort than speed.

Nice pictures Darren, as usual.

Jay