Speed Limit Change in Franconia Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
I noticed driving south through the Notch today that the speed limit has changed. Where the parkway turns back from one lane into two (though still with a substandard breakdown lane) it used to be signed for 45mph. It now (and properly, I might add) is signed for 55mph where it is two lanes. It still changes to 65mph in the same place it used to, where the breakdown lane and shoulders meet interstate standards.

Hmm, thats positive. Maybe cops wont be hanging out there anymore. Then again, maybe they will... I was riding with a friend and she was caught doing about 80 in that 45 area.

That's good news. Now, instead of going 20 mph over the speed limit, I'll only be going over by 10. :cool:

I allowed myself to get sucked into a snap-the-whip error as the last of five cars behind a truck going through. I will never again make that mistake, as it sucked being patted down and having the car searched, given my unconvincing story that the narrow shoulders were unsafe for stopping (in February). I have since seen the troopers camped out along there, waiting for the impatient. To my embarrassment, it is indeed a good place for cooling out. You don't know what it's like to have cop hands on you until it happens.

We, too, noticed all the cutting in the medium strip and wondered why. We also saw three troopers waiting to catch speeders, but I never noticed anyone being stopped, despite being passed like I was parked!

given my unconvincing story that the narrow shoulders were unsafe for stopping (in February).

Interesting. I was taught way back in drivers' ed that you have the right to not pull over until a location in which you feel safe to do so, but are responsible for putting on the blinkers or hazards and making it clear to the cop what you are doing, and that you're not a pursuit, per se.

It now (and properly, I might add) is signed for 55mph where it is two lanes.
The road through Franconia Notch would have been left as a cowpath if environmental groups had their way. The state signed a consent decree which allowed a wide 2-lane road with plastic wands as dividers - probably some of you can remember when this was changed to guardrail after enough accidents occurred. Similarly the 2-lane section was not signed as I-93 until fairly recently leaving a gap in the numbering.

Obviously the combination of slow-moving sightseers and people in a hurry to get somewhere has the potential for trouble but for years it was the sightseers who were catered to. It would be interesting to know if the environmental groups wised up or there was pressure from the Feds about a 40-mph interstate.

Any idea why the state has been clear-cutting so much of the highway up there along I-93? It looks absolutely terrible.

The trees are getting taller, and during a windstorm one actually fell into the travel lane. That's OK on most roads but I doubt they like it on I-93.

Interesting. I was taught way back in drivers' ed that you have the right to not pull over until a location in which you feel safe to do so, but are responsible for putting on the blinkers or hazards and making it clear to the cop what you are doing, and that you're not a pursuit, per se.
Agreed - they even tell women that it's OK to drive to the police station or other public place, but you should slow way down and use blinkers.

My mother got a ticket years ago at the dip by Whitehouse Bridge, she was just doing what SHE learned that you should put on speed going downhill to gain momentum for the uphill. With the size engines in today's cars, I'll bet they don't teach that in drivers ed anymore.

Obviously the combination of slow-moving sightseers and people in a hurry to get somewhere has the potential for trouble but for years it was the sightseers who were catered to. It would be interesting to know if the environmental groups wised up or there was pressure from the Feds about a 40-mph interstate.

It's still 45mph through the single-lane sections, as I think it should be based on the road width and sight lines. I have to wonder if they ticketed the wrong person in the "two lane but not quite interstate standard" segment in question, and that person fought it to the point the state had to concede that by federal standards it's a 55mph road and that they couldn't just arbitrarily decide to make it 45mph in that section?

Maybe people have stopped rubber necking for the Old Man so traffic has safely speeded up ...

... then again, there's still the rock climbers and cannon to look for ... try that while texting:eek:

Fortunately, this is the southbound side, well south of all the views of Cannon...

I havent noticed the significant cutting back of the the right of way on the interstate, but there are several good reasons for it. During the winter it allows more sun on the highway which cuts down on ice and during moose and deer season it gives a lot bettter visibility to see moose and deer crossing the road. While driing through Nova Scotia last fall, I noticed the trasncanadian was cut back about 100 yards with a fence runnign down the middle of the clearing.

Last edited:
The road through Franconia Notch would have been left as a cowpath if environmental groups had their way.

Too bad it wasn't! :( Franconia Notch would be one of the most beautiful spots on the planet if there wasn't a highway running through it IMHO.