Using Kahtoolas

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiguy

Reaction score
I did a search and found that a few folks have tried the Kahtoola brand crampon but no real specifics. It seems as though the newer Steel Version is more effective than the Aluminum, but does anyone have other information. They look as if they are nice and light and compactable, but how about performance and durability. If anyone has actually used these I would appreciate your input. Here is a Link to their Website for those of you that have not seen them.

Last edited:
nazdarovye said:
I and a few others tested them for Backpackgeartest; here are the reviews:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Snow Gear/Crampons/Kahtoola Traction System - 2004/

I like them and still use them. They have a slightly heavier steel model this year that has longer, sharper points; which is better will of course depend on the conditions you're in.

- Steve

Thanx Steve,

My initial impression is that these things WORK!
Lightweight Compactiable and easy to put on.
I am going to try to test them this week.
We will let you know..

My suggestion is that you stick to the steel crampons for NE use. Aluminum will not stand up to the rock and hard water ice that you are likely to encounter in this ares.

edit: Aluminum is fine for neve, corn snow, crusts etc. Just stay away from the hard stuff.

Doug

Last edited:
Yes!

I love them!
The Aluminum ones work great for running up ski hills or packed out trails and are a great security to carry when you only need them intermittently -which is usually the case in late autumn or spring. My Kahtoolas are sized for my trailsneaks; and I use the Grivel 12pts for more aggressive conditions.
They wouldn't be my choice if I was only going to own a singe pair of crampons, but they are a sweet complement to my quiver......... :D

Happy New Year to all and to all a good night!

Inge

The guy I hiked with on Friday used them up & down Field. Did not provide as good a grip as my 12's but more than enough on this trail to stay in control. works with flexible footwear, even trail runnners (okay it's too cold for trail runners) Straps harder than my step-in crampons but really no different than strap on crampons.

Some conditions might be too icy for them but packed snowy trails are fine.