Magnificent Mount Monadnock in March

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxi

Reaction score
Is it possible to get a "craving" for a particular mountain? I've been yearning to hike back up Mount Monadnock now for some weeks, and when I saw the weather forecasting temps in the high 50s for Sat (3/11), and read Kerry13's report on the Pumpelly trail conditions, I knew where I was headed yesterday! I love that trail (9 miles RT). The terrain is so varied, the rocky ridge is fun to scamper across, and the views are gorgeous anytime of year! And one of the benes of hiking in early March is no bugs!

I arrived at the Trailhead at 10 am. No sign, but I know this trail well. It was a little muddy. I fully anticipated to see some ice, especially on the steep section that is almost always wet in summer and turns into an icefall anytime from November through April. The nice thing was that the ice wasn't covered by snow, so you could see where it was. Going up the ice fall was challenging. I don't own crampons, but neither did I feel a need for them. Going around the trail worked well, and I got a great workout!

On my way up the steep icefall, I met a couple. We commented on the combination of ice and Pumpelly's steepness and none of us really wanted to go back down it. They told me about the Dublin trail and offered to show it to me if I wanted to join them going down that way. Bob and Mary, if you're reading this, THANK YOU! I've often thought that I am a very lucky person, and this day just added more proof. Bob and Mary are the nicest people and it was a lot of fun hiking with them. I'm really glad I got a chance to meet them!

The rest of the Pumpelly Trail from the ridge to the summit was scattered with more icy spots, but there was also a balance of enough bare rock that made the hike really enjoyable. Scampering across Monadnock's rocky surface always elicits fun memories and feelings of climbing on rocks when I was a kid. The skies were bright and sunny, the summit very windy, the hike down the Dublin trail challenging as well due to ice, but so interesting and fun! The walk back to the cars along the dirt, then paved roads was relaxing, talking with Bob and Mary. Along the way we met a tongue and tail wagging brown lab named Stella who had enough energy to hike Monadnock 10 times over if the Park Service would have allowed her up there.

Overall, a great day on a great mountain with great people. What more could I ask for? This is why I love hiking! :)

Neat Trail Indeed

Monadnock is a great mountain! It has so many trails it would take quite awhile to explore them all.

I to love the Pumpelly Trail. It's great in non-winter for running/walking. There's such variety and over half of it is in the open with nice views! Plus in the summer you can cool off in Dublin Lake after...quite a treat :)

Thank's for sharing your experience!

Nice report Roxi. I use to hike Monadnock often with my buddies when I was in my teens and 20's. I did my first winter hike there in the middle of the the winter of 68-69 which, for those who were around then and remember had lots of snow. We did that hike after a drunken bet the night before and though we were totally unprepared for the event and broke trail up Spellman without snowshoes or crampons or even hiking boots for that matter, for some reason the three of us survived. I lost touch with Monadnock for many years, except for the occassional climb with my nieces and nephews. I tried Monadnock again early last spring and found the excitement in hiking and that little jewel southern NH again. A little mountain with a big mountain feel. It reminds me so much of Chocura. Even on the busiest summer and fall days I can find a nice trail where I don't have to deal with the crowds. This winter has been especially nice and I have had the opportunity to spend many days sitting a top this jewel, nestled in the rocks, listening to the wind and drinking a cup of hot chocolate. Glad to hear I am not the only one who really enjoys this piece of heaven.

Thank you

Thank you everyone! And thanks Chip for the birthday wishes. I see yours will be in two weeks. I hope your 46th will be as wonderful as mine has been. One of the nicest birthday wishes I got today was from one of the 6 year-old Kindergartners that I work with. He said, "It's raining on your birthday! I can't believe it! It should be sunny!" :)

Kerry, I have got to remember to bring hot chocolate next time I go up Mount Monadnock! That would taste especially good at the top!

I'm glad to find other people who appreciate the Monadnocks too. Sometimes, from occasional comments I've read here and on other hiking communities, there seems to be a "snobbish" attitude of the Whites being better than the Monadnocks. I think every mountain in NH has its own unique gifts to offer, and I appreciate them all. The Monadnocks are beautiful in their own right, their trails are fun and they offer a great workout close to home. I've seen moose on North Pack. We actually startled each other and then just stood there staring at each other until the moose finally decided to trot off in the opposite direction. Thank goodness one of us could make a decision! :rolleyes:

I enjoy hiking in the Whites, but I am not a cold weather person. I get REALLY cold REALLY easily! I've had hypothermia on Cannon in September after hiking through mist. It wasn't even raining! I carry gloves with me all the time, no matter what month it is or where I'm hiking. As "warm" as it may have been in the Whites this past weekend, it was still below freezing, and with the wind factored in, the windchills were still in the single digits. Physically I can't handle those temps. I live for the summer!

The Monadnocks allow me to hike year 'round. I hike up North Pack every month, and I've hiked Mount Monadnock every season. They keep me in shape until I can head north again. I feel very fortunate to live only 30-45 minutes away from each of their trailheads. They truly are "jewels" and I treasure the experiences I've had hiking them.

Roxi said:
I'm glad to find other people who appreciate the Monadnocks too. Sometimes, from occasional comments I've read here and on other hiking communities, there seems to be a "snobbish" attitude of the Whites being better than the Monadnocks. I think every mountain in NH has its own unique gifts to offer, and I appreciate them all. The Monadnocks are beautiful in their own right, their trails are fun and they offer a great workout close to home.
Monadnock isn't so popular (supposedly the second most climbed mountain in the world (after Fuji)) for nothing. It is a nice mountain. It may be smaller than many in the Whites, but it can give the feel of being above timberline with less effort and seriousness than the Whites.

I've had enjoyable hikes there any time of year. (I also four-season hike in the Whites.) We used to do night hikes there. (Leave the car after sunset, summit via Pumpelly Ridge, and return before sunrise. We carried headlamps, but part of the game was to avoid using them...)

Now if it just weren't so crowded... :)

Doug

Nice report Roxi.

No snobbery on my part. I've had lots on fun on the southern peaks. When my current obsession is over on March 20th, I'm looking forward to hitting Monadnock, Pack and North Pack, Kearsarge and Cardigan.

Happy trails,
Glenn

Hey Roxi,
Nice trip report as usual.
I think you can have a craving for a particular mountain, mine is Lafayette, no wait, Cannon, No wait Jefferson.... :)

Where are you pics, I know you forgot your camera ;)

Its been far to long since I have been out. Hope to get out soon.

Happy Trails

Sticks :)

Nine Report, Nice Loop

That is a beautiful loop hike and excellent report. Well worth the modest effort for lots of really great views. Did it one very hot summer day a few years back.
The only negative was the blistering hot road walk back to the car.
Thanks for reminding me of an excellent day that I hadn't thought of for awhile.