Mystery Plaque on Indian Head Trail???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikerAmiga

Reaction score
Hikerfast and I hiked Indian Head Trail (1.9 miles) towards Mt Pemigewasset (Franconia Notch) yesterday. About 3/4's up the trail, I stumbled upon the below plaque laying on a rock, unattached. It names a "Kim Anderson" deceased on February 13, 2005 but Hikerfast didn't recognize the name and so I wondered what the connection, if any, might be to her and the trail??

I searched this site and also Googled her name and the dates on the plaque but could not find anything?

Does anyone know anything about her and why this plaque is on this trail?

Picture of plaque is here: http://community.webshots.com/photo/552056052/2530817900086223241nYKVrU

Last edited:
Possibly died en route to the summit or had her ashes scattered on the trail.

Bizarre-- HikerAmiga, when I hiked up to Mt. Pemigewasset, that very plaque was actually at the summit. I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm also curious about the woman and the circumstances of her life/death.

alpinista said:
Bizarre-- HikerAmiga, when I hiked up to Mt. Pemigewasset, that very plaque was actually at the summit.
Actually I think that if one was to toss the plaque off the summit it might land about 1.9 miles up that trail, was that the area where you suddenly got into a lot of talus boulders that long ago came off the cliff?

I think a lot of these mountain memorials are placed at a person's favorite spot, not where they died.

In 2003 or 2004 there was a small memorial on the summit to someone who died in 9/11. I don't know how long that lasted up there either.

-dave-

Mystery Solved?

I think MichaelJ may have found the woman's obituary as by all accounts it sounds like the same person except she lived in Pennsylvania?

MichaelJ found the following obituary of a "Kim Anderson" who died on February 13, 2005:

"ANDERSON, KIM
Kim Anderson, beloved daughter of Louis and Jean Drop of Monessen, PA, passed away unexpectedly at Virginia Hospital Center on Sunday, February 13, 2005. She was a loving daughter and a treasured friend. She was a devoted member of Saint Agnes Catholic Church in Arlington, VA and an active member in her community. Kim, a graduate of Pennsylvania State University, leaves behind numerous family and friends both locally and in her hometown. She is fondly remembered in the local legal community, especially by those at Spriggs & Hollingsworth, Gibson Dunn & Crutcher, and the legal department of Nextel Communications. Kim left this world too soon and we will miss her ever-present smile, her witty sense of humor, and her ability to make those around her feel special. Our memories of her will be in our hearts forever."

I think the odds are pretty good that this person is the one memorialized on this plaque. Maybe she enjoyed hiking that trail when visiting NH or who knows?

Thanks MichaelJ for finding that obituary!!

Whether or not it is the same person, may she rest in peace!

Last edited: