Robin's Nest on my porch light

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Here are some shots of a robin's nest, and the babies. We were on vacation over the 4th of July when she built the nest. While on vacation last week, the eggs hatched and now the babies are getting feathers and sticking their heads up, mouths wide open, at any sound.

I've not spent a lot of time trying to get the best shots as mom and/or dad are very defensive, chirping like mad, and flying right at my head... Still, it is MY deck and my security light where they've built their nest ;) I wish I had Darren's set up.

http://pets.webshots.com/album/560166801bwtsiF

I'll update this thread after an update to the photos, i.e., when they're bigger and/or after they've left.

Tim

They better leave soon (I hear 2 weeks, meaning 1 more to go) because my wife and kids can't go out on the deck without the mother dive bombing them. She bombs me too, but I think it's pretty cool. I've been trying to get some video of it, but it's hard to track her, stay focused, etc. I just uploaded two short clips of her "attacking" me. She goes from a tree to the nest, and onto the swing set, and then back, forming an arc.

It's cool. It's educational. She better not come back next year 'cause we'll remove the nest as fast as she builds it. Obviously, we won't touch it this year... but she's definitely much more aggressive now that the eggs have hatched.

I'll try and shoot a video of the chicks straining their necks and mouths to eat. Have to have someone watch my back though as she'll definitely dive bomb me. Maybe I can set up a cardboard blind or something to shoot through... Not sure I'll have time before they are gone.

Tim

Very cool. Don't turn that light on - you'll cook the chicks and maybe even start a fire!

- darren