Waterville Valley Adventures

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dms

Reaction score
Jim C., my son, Dan, and I had a wonderful hike/wack in Waterville Valley yesterday. We hiked to some very seldom visited peaks, found a "secret" trail, that led to an unknown peak, all in all, it was a great day in the woods. This trip had trail hiking, and a large dose of bushwacking thrown in for some real adventure. We started off up the Mount Tecumseh trail from Tripoli Road, it's a nice way to go in as there is minimal foot trafic from this end of the trail. The weather was spectacular. We went up to the col of West West Tecumseh and West Tecumseh, we bushwacked basically southeast towards the summit of the "former" 3k list peak of West West Tecumseh, the woods were open except for a nasty stick forest that I cooly managed to lead us into, Jim C. had the better sense to go around it instead. The summit was easy to find and is marked with a nice cairn of substantial age no doubt. I actually found the string that used to hold the summit register tied to a small tree. My Thomenen altimeter showed a total elevation differential of 200 feet from the col to the summit, so this peak must be close to qualifying. From here we wacked back the trail, and it was on to another disqualified 3k peak, West Tecumseh. This peak has a great viewpoint at the western end, the actual high point is on the eastern end, or at least that's the general consensus, we could find no evidence of a register. After visiting the main peak, Tecumseh, we took the Sosman trail to a point opposite the Tecumseh-Green Mountain col and started our wack to Green. These were by far the thickest conditions we encountered all day. Eventually we made it to the summit ridge which is a huge flat fern field, we followed the ridge to it's end where we found a 15-20 foot summit ledge which is the actual high point. It has one of the old original 3k signs which we didn't see until it was a foot in front of my face. Now it was decision time, keep going to Welch and Dickey, or turn around and backtrack? Well the rumors of a "secret" trail up the ridge in front of us kept our interest high, and off we went. The ridge down Green was basically open and easy to follow. After about .6 mi. we spotted an open area to the east, and low and behold, we hit the "secret" trail which we followed to the summit of Foss Peak, its about 3500 ft and is wide open at the top. After soaking in the views we determined that we would follow the trail and see where it would lead us. It was steep going down into the Welch/Dickey - Green col, but were we able to stay on the trail. However once in the col the trail became at first obscure, then it disappeared all together ( or we lost it). We spent a lot of time looking for it because we did not relish the thought of wacking up to the Welch Dickey Trail, but sometimes you have no choice. Finally at bout 6 pm we hit the trail, grabbed our last two peaks of the day and stumbled back to Jim's car which we had spotted early in the am. Although tiring, it was a fantastic trip right in our "backyard", it also gave us a true sampling of both the highs and lows of off trail travel. I will post some pics later.

Last edited:
Kurt, it is sweet to do the "non" peaks, some of them are quite ejoyable even though they have suffered the indignity of being delisted!

Nice route, Dennis. I could follow along on the map, although from the looks of it Foss Peak is only a shoulder of Green. Wonder why anyone has a trail way up there?

Speaking of de-listed peaks, when is the trip to East-east Hancock? It was a 4k once, so that should take priority of any de-listed 3k peaks! If a group is heading that way, please be sure to let me know.

albee said:
Nice route, Dennis. I could follow along on the map, although from the looks of it Foss Peak is only a shoulder of Green. Wonder why anyone has a trail way up there?

Speaking of de-listed peaks, when is the trip to East-east Hancock? It was a 4k once, so that should take priority of any de-listed 3k peaks! If a group is heading that way, please be sure to let me know.

Albee, Foss Peak is only a shoulder of Green, but what a shoulder it is! Wide open! There is even a summit sign!

I am creating a list of delisted peaks, got to have something to do! I'll let you know when we head over to E-E Hancock, although I've heard that the vegetation there is somewhat, shall we say, dense!. Our next trip is to the delisted Cannon Balls.

Last edited:
Dennis, thank you for the trip report. Over Memorial Day Weekend I made an attempt on Green, starting my bushwhack near the communications building by the edge of the ski slopes. I too found it to be really thick going, and I wasn't able to get very far when a shower passed through. Not wanting go any further in such dense, wet vegetation, I simply turned around. I've been meaning to conquer Green since then.

For bagging this one, is the recommended route to head over from the ski slopes or up from Dickey?

Nate said:
Dennis, thank you for the trip report. Over Memorial Day Weekend I made an attempt on Green, starting my bushwhack near the communications building by the edge of the ski slopes. I too found it to be really thick going, and I wasn't able to get very far when a shower passed through. Not wanting go any further in such dense, wet vegetation, I simply turned around. I've been meaning to conquer Green since then.

For bagging this one, is the recommended route to head over from the ski slopes or up from Dickey?

Nate, I think the route from Sosman is the shortest way to Green, the first 500 yards is nasty, but after that the woods "open" up a bit. More of a stick forest than blowdowns, but you can move at a steady pace, once you attain the ridge, the going is very easy, just go all the way to the end of the summit plateau and you will find the scrubby summit bump.

We got it ALL ... and more!

A very enjoyable day, indeed.

A bit of everything and something for everyone!

We need to figure out who the elusive "Foss" is!!

Dennis, thanks again for this trip report. I hope to be going after Green again at the end of this month. For Foss Peak, is it the 3400' peak to the west of Green, or the 3312' peak to the south?

Foss Mt

Nate

Foss Pk is the 3312' pk s of Green. Just follow the well defined ridge from Green. Just prior to reaching the end of the ridge, you will experience several surprises. Have fun!