NE Cannonball via Mittersill 10-21-07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Berard

Reaction score
N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
Don, Greg, and I decided to head for NE Cannonball after toying with the idea of heading over to Equinox and Dorset instead, mostly because we could eat breakfast at Polly's Pancakes on the way. :D It was my first time there and I have to say, it lived up to the hype. Those were the best pancakes I've ever had ( pancakes sampler plate with oatmeal blueberry, buckwheat, and gingerbread!). Afterwards, we dropped a car at Lafayette Place, and then went to Mittersill, where we were to start our hike. There was one other car in the parking area, but we didn't see a soul 'til we got to the top of Cannon. The ski trails on Mittersill are in great shape, even though its been closed for 20+ years. I understand they've been kept mowed by a local group, although I wonder if the state does this now. I think they've bought it and the plan is to reopen the area at some point in the future as part of Cannon. One could not say the same about the lift, especially the unloading area at the top. It is in serious disrepair, and looks ready to collapse. The views to the the north were excellent. We could see Jay, Wheeler, Pisgah, and Burke to name a few.
At the top of NW Cannon the views to the south west were cool. The Cannonballs, Kinsmen, and Moosliauke were all in view nearby, as well as the ridge of the Greens from south of Pico to north of Mansfield.
On our way up to Cannon, we came across a memorial to "Albs" on a rock on the side of the Taft trail. It looks like people go there to remember Albs a lot. Next to the rock were numerous chairs, a grill, and a snow shovel. The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful, although, in the cafeteria, we were approached by a group of Chinese students who were looking for advice on what gear they would need to hike in the Whites. It turned out that one of Don's daughters teaches English in China, and he had visited all 4 of the cities they were from on his last visit to see her in China. Talk about a small world!
Next we were off down the Kinsman ridge trail, which is steep with big boulders to navigate around, but short. Then on to NE Cannonball, Lonesome Lake, and Layayette Place CG. We stopped at Woodstock Station for a drink and some apps, and then home to watch the Sox. On the way home on 118, we saw some people pulled over on the side of the road, and stopped to ask them if they needed help, and the said " No, we're waiting for the International Space Station to fly over. It'll be here in a couple minutes, you should stay!" So we did, and I learned that the ISS would pass 200 miles overhead, travelling 17,000 miles an hour! About a minute later we saw this REALLY bright light streak across the sky heading southeast. Pretty Cool! Weather, company, and an interesting route with unique views, all made this one of my favorite hike so far this year! Thanks to Don and Greg for joining me.

slideshow here

Last edited:
Great shots Jason, I really enjoy the pics of the old Mittersill trails. I agree that if the state gets its act together and pulls off the finances for a merge it will be a great ski area, all we need is SNOW! I learned to ski at Cannon from Jefferson Elementary School and the program there. Many after morning lesson sessions spent skirting over, even for just a little bit, to catch a ride on Mittersill.