A Mt. Eisenhower Biathlon (10-Jan-2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
A true biathlon usually refers to the winter sport that combines cross-country skiing and rifle shooting. Zman & I did the cross-country bit in our trek to Mt. Eisenhower today. However, I can guarantee you we didn’t do any rifle shooting!

Our modified biathlon consisted of X-C skiing to the Edmands Path via the Mt. Clinton Road from the Crawford Path parking lot, and then hiking to the summit of Mt. Eisenhower. We returned via the same means & same route.

Before providing some commentary and photos for our “Olympic journey”, I just want to note that it was a treat to meet and talk with Silverfox in the Crawford Path parking lot just as we were starting off. Mark, hope you had a great hike to Mt. Pierce!

Then, as we were about to reach the summit of Mt. Eisenhower we were treated again with a chance meeting of a group of VFTT folks who were doing a Pierce/Eisenhower traverse. It was very cold at the spot we met and so conversation was brief. I know I’m forgetting some of the people in this group, but some of the folks included: bobandgeri, rocksnrolls, TrishandAlex (but without Alex today).

OK, now here is some brief commentary and photos of our journey. I think I need to start by saying this. WOW! What a rare clear blue-sky day in the Whites! And, it was made even more glorious by mild winds at the higher elevations.

Below is a shot of Zman on the X-C ski portion of our biathlon.
100_0697.JPG

On the hiking portion of our trek, beauty abounded even before we reached any of the sweeping vistas from above tree-line. Below is a photo showing a sample of sights seen on our way up to Ike.
100_0701.JPG

Then, as we approached tree-line, the eye-popping view of Mt. Washington came into view.
100_0704.JPG

Shortly after reaching tree-line we put on our final layers and slipped on our balaclava and goggles. Zman elected to continue the ascent to the summit with snowshoes, whereas I felt more comfortable switching to crampons due to interspersed ice on the route to the summit.

Below is a photo of Zman just as he is about to step foot on the frozen summit.
100_0706.JPG

And, here are just a few of the many photos taken from the summit.

Looking Northward Toward Pliny & Pilot Range
100_0708.JPG

Looking Eastward Toward Mt. Isolation & beyond
100_0715.JPG

As we were descending, we were treated to colorful westward views toward the Twins as the sun was beginning to set.
100_0723.JPG

By the time we reached the Edmands Path trailhead, the sun had just set. We retrieved our X-C skis and boots that had been left behind at the trailhead for the hiking portion of our biathlon up to Mt.Eisenhower. It was cold, and so in record time, we removed our snowshoes, changed from hiking boots to X-C boots, strapped our snowshoes to our pack, broke out the head-lamps and then began our journey back to the Crawford Path trailhead.

BOTTOM LINE TO ALL THIS: It was an exceptionally good weather day in the Whites today, and Zman & I thoroughly enjoyed taking advantage of this rare day by doing our modified biathlon, i.e. X-C ski & hike to Mt. Eisenhower. And, as an extra bonus, it was a real treat to meet so many VFTT folks on our journey.

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Awesome trip report, John! Once again, I just barely missed meeting you! One of these days perhaps!

It was lovely meeting you yesterday, first near the top of Eisenhower and then down near the Edmands trailhead. Sorry it was too cold to really stop for a few and chat.

Wonderful pictures -- it was an absolutely gorgeous day out there yesterday, wasn't it! A bit on the chilly side, perhaps, but gorgeous nonetheless.

Congrats on your trip!

Last edited:
Hey John ..great report with nice pictures on a super winter day's hike.. I am glad you were able to pull it off..looked like they had Mt Clinton road groomed out perfect for you..

It was a pleasure down in the lot speaking with you and Zman..you guys sure look like you enjoy what you are doing...

I made it to Pierce just as the larger VFTT group was headed to Ike.. After brief intros and smiles all around..they took off down the shoulder of Pierce..I hiked down with Luis who's group had gone to Ike as well..fine day in the woods with lots of familiar faces

It was great to finally meet you and Zman on Eisenhower! Your photos are wonderful. It was such a perfect day to be in the mountains yesterday. We were envious of you two being able ski down Clinton Road - it felt as though the road went on forever. But we were lucky enough to see the full moon rising between the trees to end a perfect day.

Just a short follow up to 1Happyhikers trip report- Awesome day for a hike- blue sky all day- It was terrific for me to finally meet some VFTT folks, Bob & Jerry, Rocksnrolls, Trish, J and J (??) and Silverfox in the parking lot- It was a bit hard to see who was who on the summit cone with goggles and full face masks so I hope I didn’t leave anyone out- Also hope you guys caught a bit of the full moon rising on the way down Clinton road. Here are some additional pictures which include 1Happyhiker-

http://cookieandmarty.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=7067357&AlbumKey=e8Hj3

Hope to share a hike with all of you in the future

Marty

It was great to finally meet you and Zman on Eisenhower! Your photos are wonderful. It was such a perfect day to be in the mountains yesterday. We were envious of you two being able ski down Clinton Road - it felt as though the road went on forever. But we were lucky enough to see the full moon rising between the trees to end a perfect day.
Hey guys . . . I want to apologize for totally messing up your “screen-name” in the initial version of my Trip Report (I’ve since corrected it). The heck of it is, at the time I was preparing the report, I knew that I had it wrong and made a mental note to go back and correct it. So much for mental notes!

While reading through the replies this morning, I noticed to my horror that my known mistake was still there . . . it did not self-correct overnight!

Great to finally meet you guys yesterday!!

Great pics and report. I love the narrative as it always refreshes fond memories.
Climbing Stallion/BMT

True confessions, I cut and pasted the guest list from Ike- my apologies to Geri as well- (hope I didn't mess any others up!)

1Happy Hiker and ZMan-- it's Jerry, Jery, Jeri, Gerry, Gerri, Gery, Gary, Geri typing... :) Believe me, I've seen it all ways and certainly take no offense, otherwise I'd be spending all my time correcting people. I thought getting married would help part of the problem as maiden name was Harrand (quite unusual). Figured Hayes was pretty simple...until I got a letter addressed to J. Haze...

It's been said a hundred times, but what a beautiful glorious day yesterday. So glad for the added bonus to bump into so many folks as well - hope we see you soon (on a warmer spot!)

Wow! I'm from Canada and I've never hiked in the Whites so far in winter but looking at your pics makes me want to go like.... right now! I'm gonna give it a try this winter for sure! Again, nice pics!

Last edited: