All 5 Catskill Fire Tower Peaks in 1 Day!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adktyler

Reaction score
(5/22/2009) I had been thinking about attempting a trip like this for quite some time. But, being rather lazy when it comes to planning outside of the Adirondacks, I kept pushing it to the back of my mind. Then, Gary VanRiper (co-author of the Adirondack Kids Series) posted a thread on ADKHP Forum with some questions about whether all five Catskill fire towers in one day were possible. I was thrilled. So, one month and two days later, after hours of planning and working out just about every detail, Gary and I met at my work and headed out on our epic adventure. From the advice of another more experienced than us, we set up the route to begin with Red Hill, then to progress though Balsam Lake Mountain, Hunter, Tremper, and then finish with Overlook. This was a magnificent plan, and worked out quite well. I was the official navigator to each trailhead and Gary was the driver extraordinaire.

Our first challenge was finding the Red Hill trailhead, and not having hiking experience in the Cats did not lend itself well to this task. We were told that the Red Hill trailhead was the hardest to find, so we prepared ourselves for some interesting navigational experiences. Gary had bought the new Catskill map, which was an EXCELLENT choice! (The map is awesome, by the way, and without it we would have been quite lost). The directions I had from Google Maps were pretty good, except that they wanted us to take a right off of US-209 onto Jenny Brook Rd. I don’t know if that road exists or not, but we couldn’t find it. We stopped to ask for directions at a corner store, and the kind lady there called four of her friends, who also had never heard of that road. You Catskill experts, are we missing something?

After using the new map to finally find our way to the trailhead, we pulled into the parking area around 10:00PM. I set up my hammock and Gary bedded down in the back of his van. The night’s temperature was excellent for sleeping, and at 3:45AM we awoke to a clear sky and temperate air. Gary was “obsessed” about ticks, so he layered up with protective garments, while I kept checking my exposed legs, paranoid by his comments about Lyme disease and its ramifications. At 4:15AM we set out on the trail, and so our adventure began.

Red Hill (2.8mi RT, 890ft EG)
This small peak was a joy to climb as daybreak spread its peaceful wings over the Catskill landscape. The reflectors on the trail markers had us both enthralled for the first part of the hike, and we remarked at what a good idea those were. We made excellent time along the trail, and within half an hour we were on the summit, as the birds sang and the sun began to emit its orange glow though the trees. We climbed the tower, and were greeted with a magnificent view of the rich colors of the sunrise right below the moon, as well as the serene mist floating though the valleys in-between mountains. Gary took out is camera and after enough light was prevalent, captured the view. I was very pleased to have an expert photographer with which to hike, and his shots came out beautifully. After taking in the vista for awhile, and enjoying the fresh breeze, we headed back down the mountain and back to the car, arriving at about 5:30AM.

4145_1107227574894_1652943004_30279093_4762557_n.jpg

Balsam Lake Mountain (6mi RT, 980ft EG)
After an hour or so drive, we arrived at the Balsam Lake Mountain Mill Brook Rd trailhead. The sun had risen completely at this point, and the temperatures were beginning to augment. A few black flies buzzed around, but none landed on us. We set out on the variable road in great spirits, and again made excellent time along the path. The hike up was uneventful as we chatted about college, friends, and hiking (I love how you go out hiking with people, and while hiking, talk about more hiking). Within 50 minutes we had arrived at the beautiful evergreen corridor, and 10 minutes later were standing on the summit. I was surprised at the relative ease of the hike, and hoped that the other peaks were as easy to climb. At the top of the fire tower more lovely landscape greeted us. Because of the humidity the distance of sight was only about 30-50 miles, but that was plenty to elucidate the 360° of mountains. After more picture taking and some Scooby-Doo gummies (nothing says fire towers like Scooby Doo fruit snacks), we commenced our hike back to the van. This went smoothly, and an hour later we were driving to Hunter.

4145_1107280416215_1652943004_30279361_1207186_n.jpg

Hunter (4.4mi RT, 2210ft EG)
We arrived at the Becker Hollow trailhead at the peak of the morning temperatures. After lathering up with sunscreen and bug spray, chugging some liquids, and grabbing some more to eat, we began hiking. Both of us were preparing ourselves mentally for a grueling hike, because 2210 ft is a lot to gain in 2.2 miles. The beginning of the hike was uncomfortably flat, and every step we took that wasn’t going up was one steeper step to take later on. I learned very quickly that nettles in the Catskills are not something to mess around with, and religiously avoided them for the remainder of the day (I know, laugh it up at the Catskill noob!). Before long we were hiking up, relentlessly up! At 84 degrees, high humidity, and scorching sun rays, it was a very challenging hike up. Gary became de-hydrated, in spite of drinking quite a bit of Gatorade (I can understand, I drank 8 liters/256 ounces over the whole day and still was never fully hydrated!). The loose rock and lack of breeze made it even more taxing, but after two hours of struggling, we made it to the summit. Lovely views again abounded, and we took a long break to re-hydrate and relax. It took us an hour and a half to get back to the car, but what a relief it was to return to that citadel of food and drink!

4145_1107230374964_1652943004_30279108_89956_n.jpg

At this point Gary felt he had reached his limit. Between this being only his second trip of the season, the heat, humidity, de-hydration, and length we still had to hike, he decided he was done hiking for the day. Yet, he thought only of me, and practically insisted that I continue on if I felt up to it. What a kind and thoughtless thing for him to do!! After making sure that he was really okay with resting in the car while I hiked the final two towers, I again took up my task of navigating and off we drove to Tremper.

Last edited:
Tremper (6.2mi RT, 2030ft EG)
After chugging more iced tea and forcing myself to eat, I again threw on my hydration pack and loosened the laces on my trail runners. I felt bad about leaving Gary in the car (he said he felt bad for me having to hike while he took a nap in an air-conditioned car), so I began at as brisk a pace as I could muster up the Phoenicia trail. Essentially, I hiked up to the summit non-stop, taking one break at the lean-to to grab a bite to eat. I had confused the mileage and elevation gain with Overlook, so it seemed like the trail was taking forever, and I was slowly feeling my energy begin to dissipate. Finally, however, I arrived at the summit, exactly an hour after I left the car. I climbed the fire tower and took pleasure from the gentle breeze before heading back down. I figured that if I had made it up in an hour, I could make it down in half an hour. To do this, I jogged essentially non-stop to the car, taking one break at the spring to chug some revitalizing water. I had to practically sprint the last little bit from the register to the van, but I made it back in exactly thirty minutes. When I took out my guidebook I realized that it was actually 3.1 miles to the summit with 2030 feet of elevation gain; no wonder it felt so long!

Overlook (5mi RT, 1400ft EG)
At 4:25pm I set out for the summit of Overlook, the final of the five fire towers. It was invigorating to have an easy peak with which to finish, and so I was able to mentally keep up a good pace (though my knees were in a well-being planet of their own). I have very little to report about the hike up, only that I saw more wildlife on that road than I had all day (a snake, a few toads, about 2 gazillion chipmunks, and many birds), which was weird since it was the most populated trail of them all. I arrived at the summit 40 minutes after leaving the car, and not a single person was up there! I had the tower to myself as I gazed over the Hudson Valley on one side and the Catskill Mountains on the other. It was a very peaceful experience, and I was thrilled to have made it up all 5 towers without injury or damage to gear. The environment was slowly shifting to dusk as I descended the tower, feeling sad that the day was coming to a close. I jogged back down to the car in 20 minutes and was greeted by Gary’s smiling face and warm congratulations. We pulled out of the parking lot at 5:45PM, long before dark, and drove back to Schenectady/Canton NY, proud of our exciting and challenging day! A 12.5 hour day of hiking, perfect!

Total mileage: 24.4 miles
Total Elevation Gain: 7,510 ft.
Total driving time (in-between towers): 2 hrs, 45 minutes
Total driving distance (in-between towers): 97.2 miles

Well, you’ll be relieved to know that neither of us was bitten by any ticks. It was a pleasure to climb with such a knowledgeable and experienced hiker as Gary, and I hope to hike with him in the future. He talked about going back for Tremper and Overlook this fall to witness the beauty of autumn colors in the Catskills; hopefully he’ll be able to do that. I was a little sad that we couldn’t walk up into the actual towers of any of the 5, only climb to the top of the stairs. I was, however, glad to at least be able to go up that far, and see the magnificent views afforded by the park. This was my first hike in the Catskills, and it was a blast!

I’m curious, have anyone on here done this trip, or know someone who has? I would love to hear about their experiences, and how they compare.

That’s all folks, thanks for reading!

Last edited:
I take NO credit for the photos, Gary took them all!

Some more photos:

Suiting up for the hike:
4145_1107280056206_1652943004_30279352_2210088_n.jpg

What? Me trying to get into the tower?!? NEVER!
4145_1107280136208_1652943004_30279354_306188_n.jpg

Observation Cabin on summit of BLM:
4145_1107280176209_1652943004_30279355_42066_n.jpg

Shadow!
4145_1107280256211_1652943004_30279357_18854_n.jpg

Observation Cabin on Hunter:
4145_1107280736223_1652943004_30279368_4205037_n.jpg

Like my shirt?
4145_1107280896227_1652943004_30279372_6723528_n.jpg

Gary didn't post up any of the pictures of himself, so I couldn't put those on here, sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: dms
Great hiking and report. Congratulations!

The directions I had from Google Maps were pretty good, except that they wanted us to take a right off of US-209 onto Jenny Brook Rd. I don’t know if that road exists or not, but we couldn’t find it. We stopped to ask for directions at a corner store, and the kind lady there called four of her friends, who also had never heard of that road. You Catskill experts, are we missing something?
Google Maps strike again. No doubt all of the other online map services would have offered the same bad directions. It is a very old horse and buggy era road, no longer drivable. It is at the center crosshatch on this topo map.

Jenny Brook Road is shown on the DeLorme Atlas and on most Ulster County Maps, including my most recent one published by Hagstrom. That is why the online mapping tools recommend using this former road. From US-209 it begins in the hamlet of Wawarsing opposite Port Ben Road and just south of the US-209 bridge over the Vernooy Kill. It might be signed Old Route 209 at this intersection, with the signage for Jenny Brook Road a short distance up the side road. It joins NY-55 near Honk Hill a short distance north of the intersection of NY-55 and Continental Road. The path of the road is split between page 35 and 36 in the DeLorme Atlas which obscures its visibility.

A couple of decades ago I spied the road on the map. It looked like a reasonable shortcut from US-209 to NY-55 which would bypass the hamlet of Napanoch (which is a bit of a speed trap). As I recall it is paved for a short distance from US-209, but quickly deteriorates into what appears to be an overgrown foot path (approximately at the center hatch on the linked topo map). The middle portion of the road was clearly not drivable the last time I saw it; which is admittedly a couple of decades ago.

The Catskills and Shawangunks are notorious for such roads which are shown on maps, but are no longer drivable by car (assuming they ever were).

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks, Mark, for all the great details. You are certainly en expert in the area! It makes a lot more sense now that we couldn't find it. We opted to just drive down 209 and turn right onto US-55 (then onto US-55A). That worked out quite nicely.

Google also thought that Old Dince Rd. went all the way tough to, uh, Dennis Rd. I think? We had to backtrack a little and take Rudolph Rd. instead as I recall.

That's why we have maps!

A message from Gary

Here is what Gary writes about the trip:

5 Towers - 1 Day

That was the plan. As you have already read in Tyler's great report – one of us made it – one didn’t. I echo the thanks for the great advice was given to us from the ADK Forum for the most efficient loop. In full exposure of the 84 degree sun during the most strenuous part of the hike, I did hit the wall. We completed Hunter, but I knew I was done for the day. Without me to slow him down - Tyler was able to sprint down those final two mountains - Tremper and Overlook - to finish. I am looking forward to returning in the autumn to finish these two towers. Looking at the landscape, the Catskill color must be amazing.

I would like to think had the sun not sucked the life out of me on Hunter, I would have been able to make the entire loop.

One thing is for sure. Tyler is 20 years old. And I am not!

Thanks Tyler, for a most memorable day on the trails - and an awesome start to this year's hiking.

Great job Tyler and Gary.

Gary, that climb up Hunter is a steep one and keeping up to Tyler is a challenge in itself; great job!!

Great sunrise on Redhill.

Happy Trails - Cindy

Great job Tyler and Gary.

Gary, that climb up Hunter is a steep one and keeping up to Tyler is a challenge in itself; great job!!

Great sunrise on Redhill.

Happy Trails - Cindy

Thank you, Cindy! That trail up Hunter certainly is a heartbreaker!

Very nice trip report and photographs -- it looks like you had a great time.

I particularly like the sunrise shot (with crescent moon?) at the beginning of the report.

Thanks, we had a grand time. Gary did an excellent job with the sunrise photo. That is a crescent moon, and it was lovely. There wasn't enough light to pick it up, but there were also a few stars out as well. Picture perfect morning!