Mt Bourgeau 2930m (9613 ft) – Banff hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darl58

Reaction score
I picked Mt Bourgeau so my friend Nancy could join me for a hike…it’s considered a scramble but is less rock scrambling than most in the Rockies. She is recovering from a bad bike accident and her hands & elbow are still healing …(ouch)
It has a long approach 7.5km to Bourgeau Lake where you can finally see it. The hike in was gradual climbing and of course our conversation never stopped so it went very fast and easy. (coming down we were wondering if it was the same trail we went up..ooops lots of gabbing)

We arrived at the glacially-carved cirque in Harvey Pass and enjoyed the views and stopped for a snack.

The ridge hike up to the broad summit was pretty solid and a little snow, but nothing to bother. The fresh snow made it a little slick but we climbed steady. I was feeling a little tired after hiking the Edith peaks the day before.

The clouds kept coming in and out and we were watching the weather closely. Sunshine Ski area was in view and covered in sunshine..hmmmm

Finally we got a break in the clouds and the summit was right there!! We knew it had to be close. We snacked and relaxed while watching the clouds blanket us in completely. We kept an eye at our descent route.

Started descending and met a few groups climbing up as we headed down..it was a nice feeling to be going down. As we got down aways the clouds broke and we could see that the summit was in full sun..oh well! I love the cloud cover too! Makes it more beautifull and we had views for a while. Can’t always have it blue skies…..

We were careful on the descent as those dark clouds circled back and pelted us with hail and snow. We smiled and kept going enjoying our time together and knowing we had shared another summit. Two friends that have known each other since we were 4 years old, growing up in Conway NH. Nobody can ever take our memories and we keep adding more!

These hikes I share with Nancy will always be special times to me and the fact that she lives in Banff doesn’t hurt my feelings one bit!!:D

LInk to pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/BanffHikingAug09?feat=directlink