Whiteface & Passaconaway Loop (a changed route), 8/14/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
August 14, 2010: Whiteface & Passaconaway Loop (with a changed route)

Trails: Blueberry Ledge Trail, Rollins Trail, Dicey’s Mill Trail, Walden Trail, Wonalancet Range Trail, Old Mast Road

Summits: Whiteface, Passaconaway, Hibbard (2,940 feet), Hedgehog (2,532 feet), Mount Wonalancet (2,780 feet)

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

Usually, we have our days all planned out from a timing standpoint. We’ve found this is the best approach for us to complete long hike days and stay on track. We tossed the plan before even starting. I’m not sure if I didn’t hear the alarm, or if it was set for PM instead of AM (I need to take a look). In any case, I woke up four hours after my planned wake-up and nearly two hours after I was to meet Sue at the Exit 6 Park & Ride. I don’t remember if I put anything on before running outside to retrieve my cell phone from my truck but I got it and called Sue. She was well on her way home but still wanted to hike and turned around for a late start. I was able to get dressed, grab my things, and get to the Park & Ride before Sue made it back.

The plan for the day was a loop hike of Whiteface and Passaconaway with some new trails added to the mix. We’ve hiked this pair quite a few times and I was very interested in something other than Dicey’s Mill Trail as an exit route. We started out on a clockwise loop using Blueberry Ledge Trail, our normal trail to Whiteface Ledges. Blueberry Ledge Trail is completely clear and dry all of the way to Whiteface Ledges. In fact, all of the trails we used were generally clear of blowdowns and dry. There was one very large blowdown from last winter which has been cut and the trail is now unrestricted. We had great hiking conditions but the humidity was very high. Fortunately, as we gained elevation the temperature dropped a little and a breeze from the south came up to help keep things comfortable.

There were a number of others on the same trail enjoying the day including a Forest Service Ranger. He appeared to be hiking the same loop, at least over Whiteface and on to Dicey’s Mill Trail – beyond that I don’t know where he went. With the late start we decided to simply shift the plan for the day. In other words, we were now planning on reaching Sandwich Creamery late, very late. But, that’s okay since the place never closes! We arrived to Whiteface Ledges a little ahead of plan (our new plan) and stopped for refreshment. I checked our progress and found we had roughly thirty minutes to kill. So, after the snack we used the packs as a pillow and stretched out for a little rest and sun on the ledges. While we were there quite a few people passed through, including the Forest Service Ranger.

After the break we were headed for the actual summit of Whiteface via Rollins Trail and the rest of our day. On our way past the summit cairn we stopped briefly for a couple pictures and were soon into the hike around The Bowl. On the sections of Rollins Trail that were near the rim of The Bowl we enjoyed a very nice, cool breeze from the south and some pretty nice views as well. We hit the Rollins – Dicey’s Mill trails junction, turned left, and headed for the summit of Passaconaway. In the area of Camp Rich we made a quick water stop. I was running low and thought I would run out before getting back to the trailhead. Out came the filter and I topped off my bladder. Now I’m sure there’s enough to get me out.

We continued our climb to Passaconaway, complete with the usual stops along the way to bring the heart rate down. A couple that was on Whiteface Ledges while we were there had been hiking the same route and managed to pass us a short distance below the summit outlook ledge. We re-passed them there as we went for the actual summit and the usual pictures. Passaconaway, like Whiteface is a viewless summit and we were quickly on our exit from the summit.

Usually, we make a u-turn and head back out via Dicey’s Mill Trail. This time around we’re planning to follow Walden Trail, Wonalancet Range Trail, and Old Mast Road. This route will add a bunch of new scenery that Sue and I have never enjoyed plus three additional named summits; Hibbard Mountain, Mount Hedgehog, and Mount Wonalancet. This alternate route has a price of .5 miles in additional distance and 550 feet in additional elevation. When I mentioned it to Sue she said “.5 & 550 extra sounds good to me. I'm going to need it.” Evidently, Sue was having a tough week at the office.

This route was the change I had hoped for. The White Mountain Guide describes the Wonalancet Range Trail as “an attractive but significantly longer and rougher alternative to Dicey’s Mill Trail”. It is rougher but only .5 miles longer (.9 miles longer and ~750 feet in elevation with Hedgehog). There are also three additional viewless summits along the way (Hedgehog requires a short side trip). The climb down from the summit of Passaconaway and Hibbard were both very steep and rough. With dry conditions and good footing we managed to make it through both without a problem. We started the climb to Hedgehog and thought we may have missed the junction with the Wonalancet Range Trail. Roughly fifty yards ahead we came to the junction. This is also where we made a short out and back to the actual summit of Hedgehog. A very large boulder marks the summit.

We made the round trip and were soon on our way to Mount Wonalancet. Ever since leaving Passaconaway, things were happening fast. Soon we reached the split where a short-cut trail bypasses the actual summit of Wonalancet and the exposed ledge on the east exit from it which may be difficult in wet or icy conditions. We stayed with the main trail and headed for the summit. Again, no views – no reason to hang around. We kept hiking toward Ferncroft. The exit from Wonalancet is steep but with good footing. We passed through the section of exposed ledge without any problems. The light was starting to fall off but we still had some pretty nice views to enjoy. After a short break we were on the final run to the trailhead. Part way out we stopped to get the headlights. Fading light was making hiking difficult and the last thing we needed was a twisted ankle, or worse.

In a relatively short period of time we reached the junction with Old Mast Road, turned right and completed the short walk to the Ferncroft trailhead lot and our waiting truck. Nice loop!

This was the first time I hiked Whiteface and Passaconaway without significantly retracing my steps (Dicey’s Mill Trail). Walden and Wonalancet Range trails are rougher and longer than Dicey’s Mill but they were still a very enjoyable exit route.

Next stop; Sandwich Creamery for some ice cream. When we arrived one vehicle had just left and we had the place to ourselves. As soon as we made our selections several cars full of young people pulled in. That’s a busy place in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night! They were all having a good time.

A little later than originally planned we made it back to the trailhead. A little later than originally planned we reached Sandwich Creamery (Sue had Mint Chocolate Chip and I had Coffee). And, a little later than originally planned we returned to the Exit 6 Park & Ride.

Thanks Sue for another terrific day in the mountains that I’ll remember for a long time. I’m really looking forward to our next one.

Pictures will follow.

:D

Last edited: