Weekend at Elk Lake - paddling and hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
I thought folks might like to see some photos from last FSS at Elk Lake Lodge.
We made reservations a year ago and the weather was ideal.
ELL is a 13,000 acre preserve just south and east of the high peaks.
Miles of trails available to guests, haunting loon calls and a return of moose to the property. Elk Lake and Clear Pond are gin-clear, and the ELL nurtures the trout and landlocked salmon population in both.

Here are photos of a short hike to Clear Pond Mt:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sred...sRgCJbi0dWjya7QgwE&invite=COaxiO8L&feat=email

Photos of a morning paddle on Elk Lake and an afternoon climbing the scenic Lightning Hill. We were fortunate to be accompanied by a momma loon and her chick on the paddle. Sometime 25' away. It was difficult deciding whether to take in the spectacular surrounding or watch the loons paddle and dive near us. We all hear the loons calling from a distance - it was a special treat to have them calling to others from so close and listen to the dialogue and echoes:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sred...sRgCJ-43cqooNbepgE&invite=CLaJwK8N&feat=email

Last edited:
Many guests make reservations for the following year when they check out.
For foliage season - if you're flexible on dates, and willing to go during the week, you can probably get in on short notice. Folks sometimes have to cancel their reservations and the clerk mentioned that ELL is sometimes not filled during the week, even in Sept and Oct.
There are 6 rooms upstairs in the main lodge bldg and a number of cabins.

ELL closes during black fly season and then for the year in late October.

One caution - They look for a large deposit at reservation time. It is NON-REFUNDABLE in the event of even an early notice cancellation, regardless if they fill your slot or not.

Last edited:
Food and service is excellent and the dining room has large windows right on the lake. You get breakfast and trail lunch selection cards at dinner time.
The main lodge bldg is older, big fireplace, soft chairs, comfortable reading, talking,etc. Lots of chairs on a long porch.
The 6 or so rooms upstairs are very small. Two double beds, a dresser, and a tiny bathroom.
You'd never go there for the rooms in the lodge. But the setting, private trails, and how you're treated are great. I haven't stayed at the cabins( 2, 4,6, 8, and 12 persons. Peeking in the windows, they look very nice but more expensive.

As my spouse has said, she wouldn't go there for the accomodations in the main lodge, but the locale, scenery, hiking, canoeing, fishing, and food are
'it'. You get to hike trails and peaks open to only guests.

My wife and I have stayed in the lodge rooms and in the cabins. The lodge rooms are very small, and in the room we were in at least the beds were bolted to the floor. Not very romantic.

The cabin we were in was nice, with a small kitchen and a fold-out sleeper couch as well as a bedroom.

Food was so-so when we were there, but the real problem was they wouldn't serve breakfast until 8:00 a.m., and dinner was at 6:00 p.m., which really limited our hiking time.

We never went back.

Daniel,

I believe they ring the breakfast bell at 7am and if you're ready by the door you can be out in 30 min, just tell the server.
Diner bell at 6pm, but they serve til 7pm.

Still doesn't leave time for a really early start or a long day on the trail, but we figure that when we're there (been twice and going back) we're there for the paddling and sampling trails and peaks that are otherwise private.
We can climb the Dixes anytime with a 2 hour ride, but getting up Boreas, Sunrise, Clear Pond, Grandpa Pete and the miles of beautiful trails on their 13,000 acres is out focus.
You are completely right about the small rooms and inability to push them together. ;)

Added later: Regarding the food. The breakfasts are huge. Not gormet but too much to eat. Trail lunches the same - nothing exotic, but a one pound bag of fruit, veggies, sandwich made to order, cookies. Dinner is choice of entree with home baked bread. Not like the Mirror Lake Inn, good, but not great.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your pictures, My wife & I went many years ago, before the kids. Pricy but the scenery is great. Food is good, it's not four star at a fancy city restaurant but very good when you factor in the location.

We stayed in the main lodge & did get a tour of the cabins. The cabins, they are nicer than "cabins" is the way to go, especially if you can get one where you can see the view over the lake from the porch are the way to go.

Worth going in with another couple or family to share costs, even with the In-laws!:D

Mine are old enough I can run ahead, or just head up the Macomb Slide. (even just drifting in a canoe out into the lake is nice, floating with the loons):)
The wind was so strong, I think it would have pinned us against the shore! :eek:

And yes, we did see at least one Loon, from a distance.