Liberty and Flume 3/20/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I hiked Liberty and Flume with Tom & Laurie (their #19 and 20 of W48) today via Liberty Springs (White House), and Franconia Ridge Trail, out-and-back. Everyone must have gone Presidential today because we saw only about 8 other people on one of, if not the nicest days of winter hiking I've ever had. No wind to speak of, nary a cloud to be found, warm, sunshine, and of course, spring snow. It's time for sun screen!

IMG_6361.JPG
IMG_6365.JPG

Cannon, Tom on Liberty

In the AM, the trails were frozen solid and the snowshoes were helpful not only for traction but for the televators. We took a sit-down eat and drink break at the camp site, but there was nobody there to collect our $8.00. Some recent snowshoe hare prints were to be found on top of a very light dusting of fresh powder. Once on the FRT, the snow softened up as the sun hit it. Tom hit Liberty first and posed for a summit shot before we caught up.

IMG_6368.JPG
IMG_6375.JPG

Cross-Pemi Presi Shot, Garfield

We delayed on Liberty as long as we could, eating and talking, but mostly enjoying the sun and views. Descending towards Flume, the snow got much softer, and the trail had seen less traffic. The footing was good though and we made it over in 45-50 minutes. On Flume we spent a good 30 minutes hanging out, and talking to Janice and Bruce (Hi!) who'd come up the Osseo.

IMG_6392.JPG
IMG_6394.JPG

The Noo-Yorkers on Flume, Liberty

All good things must come to an end and we hiked back to Liberty with no hats or gloves and our sleeves rolled up. En route we met one more hiker (up to 3 now), and on Liberty there were three more (up to 6 now) and after talking about Flume for a bit, they tossed around the idea of going, but eventually they just followed us down. Tom used the "spoon" for some butt-sledding but Laurie and I stay on our feet. Snowshoes were still helpful once in the hardwoods because it was spring snow. Tom demonstrated an advanced stream crossing technique to the final two hikers of the day (we're at 8.) I didn't feel comfortable imitating him though and I went around and found a better place to cross. Back at the trail head, the cars were in the sun and it was quite warm inside. Luckily, Tom & Laurie had been thinking enough to keep the beer in the cooler in the trunk :D

The whole album is here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/bikehikeskifish/LibertyFlume20110320#

Tim

Last edited:
Sorry I missed it. My heel is pretty sore.

Sorry too, :(

Tim conveyed the trip quite well. Nice to hike with you again. Now about those summer plans? :D

I'll just add that we stayed at the Twin Mountain Motor Court, and for $60 / night, it comes with frig, microwave, coffee maker, stove top, HOT shower, toaster, and toaster oven. A little on the small side, but it heats up fast!

This was a great way to close out the Winter season! :)

I'm surprised you saw so few people. Lafayette was more or less mobbed, and the Ridge to Lincoln and Little Haystack saw a number of hikers as well. What a day to be in the mountains!