What kind of snowshoes do you use?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What brand of snowshoes do you use regularly? (Check all that apply)

• Atlas

Votes: 53 23.5%
  • Crescent Moon

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • MSR

Votes: 70 31.0%
  • Northern Lites

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Redfeather

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • Sherpas

Votes: 34 15.0%
  • Tubbs

Votes: 59 26.1%
  • Yakima

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Yuba

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 37 16.4%

• Total voters
I've done more than half the High Peaks on wooden snowshoes, did the rest on Tubbs Sierras, which I liked just fine. Then I saw a pair of MSR Denali Ascents, tried them, and realized that this is the best snowshoe (for about $90 less than second-best) for the trails in the Adirondack High Peaks. I have not had to use my 12 pt crampons while climbing in these, just carry insteps to save wear and tear on long frozen stretches. I bought 8" tails, but realized that 4" would probably work as well and be more maneuverable. I've had some problems (early production should be regarded as experimental) but MSR has been great about replacement under warranty.

Another vote for MSR Denali Ascents

I do a lot of winter hiking and find this time of year is the best time to hike back country mountains with no trails. For steep rugged mountain hiking the MSR Denali ascent is a great shoe. When you lift the rear bale up on steep slopes it not only lifts you heal up but it also brings your toe crampon down so that it digs in more. At first I was a little skeptical of a snowshoe with a lot of plastic on it but I’ve beat these babies more than any other snowshoe I’ve ever owned and have never had a problem. Best harness system I’ve seen too.

I do not believe they make a snowshoe that will have better traction both going up and coming down mountains than these.

Yakima snowshoes

I'm not a gearhead, and do most of my hiking in warm weather. I've thought about getting snowshoes, by I decided I'm too cheap. My wife read my mind, and got me a pair for Christmas. She got them from Dick's Sporting Goods, and I'm sure they were less than $100. I've used them several times now with no problem. If I decide to get really serious, I may have learned enough from my cheapos to know what I really want.