What kind of snowshoes do you use?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What brand of snowshoes do you use regularly? (Check all that apply)

• Atlas

Votes: 53 23.5%
  • Crescent Moon

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • MSR

Votes: 70 31.0%
  • Northern Lites

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Redfeather

Votes: 10 4.4%
  • Sherpas

Votes: 34 15.0%
  • Tubbs

Votes: 59 26.1%
  • Yakima

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Yuba

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 37 16.4%

• Total voters
Redfeather

Redfeather "recreation" snowshoes on a great sale from Campmor.

For rough hikes I reach most often for Sherpas with a Prater binding...for many other hikes, including some 4000 footers, I'm reaching more and more for the others (wooden).

none

I used to use snow shoes (can't remember which ones). I never really liked the feeling of them on my feet. Maybe with more practice...

I tend to stick to trails in winter that are usually already packed. I'm sure I'm missing out on some great hikes in winter. I always hike solo do to lack of hiker friends so I don't feel comfortable going where the trail isn't packed anyway.

If I where to hook up with a group and needed snow shoes what would be the best to rent for a non-snow shoer (sp) like myself.

I've rented Tubbs snowshoes from REI in the past. The REI in Reading just replaced their entire snowshoe rental stock with Atlas 10 series shoes. Weighing 200lbs without gear, I'll be renting a pair of the Atlas 1030's for a Wittenberg Cornel Slide traverse coming up in a few weeks, hopefully there will be enough snow to warrant their use. Otherwise, its crampons or boots solo.

snowshoes

Tubbs Altitude for milder conditions or flat land
Tubbs Pinnacles for climbing and more extreme conditions

I wonder what they did with their old rental inventory of Sherpas...could be a chance to pick up some old ones even if it were for parts....

Have rented Tubbs and Yukon Charlies in the past, but now own MSR Denali Ascents. My brother-in-law swears that Atlas are the best, and I've heard that same sentiment from others who use them. But to each their own ...... I'll stick with my MSR's. :p

I use Tubbs Peak 30's (I believe this model was replaced by the Pinnacle), I bought them in 2000.

The binding mechanism reminds me of old ski boots with a ratcheting system that goes around the back of the ankle and tightens at each side.

The best part about these is the aggressive crampons, the worst is that people have issues with the ratcheting buckle popping off (I never seem to, but friends of mine do).

Product_103455.jpg

Tubbs has since replaced the binding system the year after I bought them with one of the encapsulating types of bindings (the Pinnacle sports these).

Havlick snowshoes

I bought these shoes in March last year but have yet to use them. One thing that appealed to me was that they are made in Mayfield, New York. If it helps a local business, I'm all for it. They have website, Google "havlick". 1(800)-TOPSHOE.

There was some recent discussion on the 46-er listserve from someone wanting to repair an old pair of Sherpas. Here is one response that was sent:

"I talked last year with Dick Havlick the owner. They do do repairs, and lots of them, on other brands of shoes. And, he's always looking for feedback on ways to improve his shoes, though he commented to me that mostly people who already have them stop by to tell him how much they like what they've got. Many of the features in his shoes are there to prevent problems he's witnessed on other brands that were brought in for repair"

If anyone would like to look at these shoes, I will have them at Barnes Field.

teejay

I have Atlas 1233s and have used them for several years. They have great crampons, were lighter than Tubbs or Sherpa when I compared, I can put them on with big fat mittens, and they have proved to be bulletproof.

I also just bought some super lightweight 25" Northern Lites, a little less crampon, a little more dexterity to fasten, and pounds lighter on my feet or pack.

To acheive the best of both worlds, I carry my Northern Lites and lend my Atlas' to some other guy in my party and have him break trail!

Rent Tubbs

For years I've rented Tubbs (Adventure line, I think) from EMS here in PA. Depending on my fluctuating weight, I get the 30s or 36s. (I'll be in the 30s this weekend going up Basin and Saddleback.) I like them for trekking over flat to mild inclines, and I don't mind them when climbing steeper inclines. What I don't like is descending steep inclines with them. The fixed rear claw doesn't dig in deep enough for me, and I inevitably end up butt-sliding without having intended to.

My hiking buddies are all much lighter fellows. They cling to near-vertical surfaces with the ease of geckos. Their MSRs bear them up very well. They rarely need to switch over to crampons. But, from what I've read recently on the threads here, I'd probably be ill-advised to push the envelope on the MSR weight recommendations. Besides, I haven't come across anyone who rents them, and I need them only two weekends a year -- and that's if it's a good year. :D

Hope to file a detailed trip report early next week.

--Sijesi

I have a pair of no-frills Tubbs I bought a few years back. It's held up well, although next time I'm getting one with a binding that flexes; the ones I have tend to kick snow upwards in a nice parabola that hits the back of my head.

I bought a pair of Redfeathers on sale from Sierra outfitters, as a "guest" pair for when someone visits. Not great but they work.

I'm not a frequent/power snowshoer but it seems like the bindings are the part you should pay attention to most. They can be really easy or really hard to put on (espec. with gloves) depending on the mechanism.

I have Tubbs Altitude 30 for deep snow
MSR Denali Accent with tails although I have not used the tails.
I like walking in the MSR's more because of the smaller profile and agressive crampon.
Al

1. MSR Denali Ascents, with 8" tails semi-permanently affixed, for following my lunatic dogs through the woods at night. (No, Virginia, I don't take a lot of conscious care to watch my step with my "plastic" shoes; but I do have an innate sense about that from 35 years ( :eek: )of 'shoein'.)

2. Sherpa Lightfoots, with "Tucker" binding, retired and now backups, also kept on hand for following wildlife through the woods in daytime (if I could ever get over the guilt of leaving the dogs at home ....)

Atlas 1025 for me 825 for Mrs KD. Five years old,no problems. By the numbers,carrying full overnite gear,I should probably use 1030's,but on most trails,they seem like overkill.
My goal was to find snowshoes with step in bindings,to avoid freezing fingers. TSL in Quebec manufactures them! I e-mailed,but got no reply. Last February I walked into the Boreal Designs(kayak) factory in Quebec and found them on display. Pretty nice design,and wild color combos,but they use a lot of ABS plastic,and all the MSR bashing has me wondering. Anybody had any real life experience with TSL shoes. I can't pony up the $200/pair without some convincing.

Interesting survey. I use MSR Denali Ascents for those Monday hikes on steeper popular WM trails when the weekenders have just broken out the snow and Tubbs when I'm backcountry or doing the breaking-out work myself. When I'm not sure what I'll encounter and on my own, I have on a few occasions actually started out with tail-less MSRs and strapped on the bigger Tubbs in case I need them. There are lots of pro's and con's with MSR's, but they sure are lightweight.