Mysteries set in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dugan

Reaction score
Finished reading my way through a mystery series set in the Whites of NH. The author is Tom Eslick. Fun to read of familiar places. Let's face it, how many fictional books will ever mention the intersection of South Slide on Tripyramid with the Sleeper trail?

Sounds like fun. How accurately does he represent the landscape/trails/etc in his books? I read Stephen King's "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" which supposedly takes place on the AT in New Hampshire but nothing matched any real place on the trails of NH and it really bugged me.
-vegematic

I didn't read them with a map in my other hand, but I didn't notice any glaring discrepancies either. One of them went into a bit of rock climbing near the Bonds, that I can't vouch for.

Tracked in the Whites, Deadly Kin, and Mountain Peril have the same main character. Snow Kill has another. The first three have portions set in the WMNF, but Snow Kill talks some about SAR/EMT work, which was interesting. The author espouses some decent woods sense. I haven't read Mountain Peril yet.

Would that be the same Tom Eslick that was an English Prof. at UVM in the 70's and put out a couple of acoustic albums with a regional flair?

From amazon.com

About the Author
Tom Eslick is an English teacher at a boarding school in Andover, New Hampshire, his home and the area serving as inspiration for his novels. He has been hiking in the White Mountains for more than thirty years. He is also a professional singer and guitar player.

Dugan said:
teacher at a boarding school in Andover, New Hampshire

That would be Procter Academy. Their orientation consists of backpacking in the Whites. I shared the Garfield Ridge shelter with one of their groups back in September. One of the chaperones taught boat building.

Nice work, if you can get it.

I will have to dig up his albums from the basement, find a needle for the old Victrola and listen to them for the first time in about 20 years!