05/11/11 Iroquois or bust

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Rickie

Reaction score
Busted!

Clay and I drove up on Friday and camped at the Loj. It was a beautiful sunny drive make me think, "No way is tomorrow a 90% chance of rain." We had a quiet dinner at our lean-to while gazing into our Duraflame log. It helped keep the bugs away.

Clay always get up early so at 5:30AM Sat. He asked if I'd like some coffee. :( We were on the trail by 7:15 and on our way to Algonquin. It's cloudy, cool and easy walking. It's a fairly long and gentle approach, our spitits are good even when it starts to mist some. As we start to gain altitude the sprinkles come and go so we don't bother with rain gear yet.

We reach the water fall quicker than I remember it. I do remember the trail gets progressivly steeper after the falls and am not disappointed. Now the rain starts to pick up and finding a dry spot to sit is harder. We had stopping ever hour for a 15 min break for food and water. I'm hoping against fate the cone isn't fogged in and we can get some views. I am much more motivated and feel less fatigue if I climbing on open rock.

We past the cut off for Wright and I get peak fever. I don't want to stop to rest, drink and eat. It's raining more, the wind is picking up and I'm breathing real hard. Clay is worried about me getting hypothermia. I am well insulated and moving well for me, I am hot, sweaty and only bundled up just before coming out on the rock. Good thing, the wind and rain pick up..a lot.

We peaked around noon, it was raining and the wind much have been 50 mph. We planned to take a long rest before pushing on to Iroquois. NO WAY! We couldn't find good shelter from the wind, I hand all my stuff on We walked toward the Iroquois trail but I couldn't do it. I just needed another layer to stay warm and wasn't confident the traill ahead of us would block the wind enough for it to be safe for us to go on. Bummer.

Better safe than sorry, we turned back. I didn't feel real bad about missing a needed peak but still debated the pro and cons on the way down. Algonquin still is a hell of a climb for a day hike so I got that in my pocket anyway. It normally seems deacending takes forever. With the rain and the slippery rocks it was forever. Still agood day and the beers will taste around the Duraflame log fire.

I saw a few interesting things: a whole lot of people peaking in shorts, I don't know how they did it?

A guy in shorts, t-shirt and only a towel draped across his front for protection peaked. :eek:

A lady with three kids peaked and in good form, good for her and the kids. She was my hero for the day.

Three guys with full pack were climbing over the top and down the other side hoping to get a lean-to but the still had tents. Glad they were young and strong.

Three guys with day packs and only a small sleeping bag hanging off the back were doing the same thing. No tents, they were hoping to reserve a lean-to. :rolleyes:

Lots of sneakers and small day packs peaked. God must be watching over them.

I love the way french women speak. I don't know what they are saying but it sounds so nice. :)

I met my match, we walked the last half mile out with a guy 5 feet 2 inches and 265 lbs. Very nice guy. I was able to walk faster than him. :rolleyes:

It was a crappy day, it was a good day. That's the way it is in the Adirondacks.

I had a good time.:cool: