100 highest ADK vs New England

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I remember one particularly hard ADK100 outing... I reached into my pocket for my map and the map was gone. The spruce branches had reached in there and stolen it. I got out my first back-up map from my pack and continued on my way. Maybe an hour later and 1/4 mile from the last spot I reached for the map and my pocket was gone. (true) I got out my second and final back-up map and continued on my way. This time being much more careful of my map security as it could easily have determined my fate. I was hiking alone. I dragged myself out of the woods bleeding and exhausted. My cotton work gloves were trashed (it was their second trip) I think I used an entire roll of floss salvaging those pants. I was limping on both legs and couldn't walk correctly for at least a week. It was one of my toughest hikes ever.

As the peakbagging adventures continued, I noticed a tendency to make may back-up maps. The higher anxiety, the more copies I made of the maps (purely subconscious) I think I had over 20 copies of the Sawtooth range.

As one of several here who have done both of these peak lists (ADK 100 and NE 100), I can offer this : the ADK bushwhacks (other than the 4000 footers) are definitely more remote and difficult, and less information is available to climbers about them. I was ready to call an end to NY peaks with the ADK 100 and Catskill 3500s, but John Swanson convinced me I should continue on with the rest of the NY 3000 footers(!). What an incredible adventure it was! The list we used has a 200 foot New England col rule (instead of 300), so there are closer to 320 NY mountains on it. For those who have interest in any part of this, we are always available for consultation.

I'm glad this thread flushed out Dennis. He authored a nice "teaser" account of climbing the ADK100 in the fall 1996 issue of Peeks. Find a back issue and check out page 13 to get some rare published hints about some of the suggested routes. Question: have the various canisters from these sub-4000' peaks been removed as those 20 from the 46, or do some still exist on tops not in wilderness areas??

Just got back into town (woohoo ... only 12 NEHH to go) and just want to say what an interesting thread this has become. The folks who have done both lists definitely have my respect and the same holds true for anyone making a real attempt at doing the ADK100. What a bear of a list it is. One other thing I want to add is that I completely agree that the col/distance requirement on the ADK list makes a big difference against either the NEHH or NHHH as does the general remoteness of the Dacks and the density of the scrub. None of this is to say that the NEHH isn't tough ... any list that includes a significant amount of bushwhacking is on a different level than a list that is all trail hiking.

A buddy and me just did another ADK100 peak today,Slide Mt (Sentinel Range).
We left the trailhead in Keene at 9:15am and returned at 5:15. With the exception of the .7 mile in and out on the Jackrabbit Trail, we did an additional 7-8 miles of pure bushwacking. While the woods in some spots were open, we spent the day climbing over, under and around blowdown and thick stuff, negotiating small cliffs, and thrashing around the summit ridge looking for the true summit.
We had a great time, but a mile of bushwacking is a lot different than a mile of trail hiking. When we got down to the trail out, it felt so easy that it was like being in an easy chair.

Sounds like you found yourself going a little to far north or south out of the brook. Brian and I had a cake walk all the way down in that direction. But on the ascent we left the brook to early and faught our way up a little. Our decent brought us right to the col between Slide and Black. Did you find the view I told you about?

Spence,

We looked at Brian's tracklog and used it to set our waypoints.
We started up off the Jackrabbit trail and tried to stay close-to but out-of the stream. The deciduous canopy was so thick above us, though, that we had trouble following the waypoints and we ended up using the compass.
We ended up coming up the west side of the toe of the Slide summit ridge. While there was never a spot all day that was truly challenging from a "thick" standpoint, the combination of spruce and birch blowdown made for lots of effort. We surely visited every bump and rise on the summit ridge, and the spot you told us about had great views !
We took a head down directly at Black Mt-Slide col and the woods were nice. Just before visiting the col, we cut right and rejoined the Jackrabbit about .1m from ascent.
We discovered a beautful campground about 1/3 from the Jackrabbit along the stream on the way up Slide. There is a herd path that connects it to the Jackrabbit trail just before the large meadow.
Other trips occurred to us yesterday. A bushwack up Black Mtn as well as a bushwack up the back of Pitchoff.
Have a great time in BSP and don't forget Puffer Mt on 7/18.

Puffer it is. We also found that campsite, but coming accross the outhouse first. What a nice little spot, how many people do you think know about that one?

I was looking at a day trip into the Sawtooth Range to get #4. Check it out, looks like a decent one. We would approach from the Ward Brook Trail.

Re NHHH compared to ADK 100. The NH peaks go down to about 3500 feet depending on which map you use. My records suggest that 75 people have finsihed the NH 100 highest and that about 27 have finished the approx. 180 3000 footeres in NH.

With no ADK experience, I can't compare the two but if it is worse than south Hitchcock, I don't want to go there.

You guys are KILLING me with this bait. I've been friggin thinking about this list for the last two days. Turns out, between the 46, McNaughton and the fire tower list, I already have 56. Only a couple easy ones left though (Pitchoff, Noonmark ... ). Come next year, I'm going to have to decide between the ADK100 and NY County highpoints. I definitely want to do another NY list (also done the Cats) and will take the winter to decide between these two. Both have pros and cons. Driving to Wyoming County to climb a dung pile is a definite con but so is bushwhacking for four hours to emerge on a viewless summit. The pros are obvious. Decisions, decisions....

...Only 4 hours of bushwacking?;)

With no trails or even herd paths, doing some of these are harder than most of the 46, regardless of season. With all the crawling around, balancing on blowdown, manuvering thru thick stuff and hauling up and down cliffs, I usually drag my tired body back to the soft front seat of my car with a big smile on my face.

This is as much fun as doing the 46 back when.

"This is as much fun as doing the 46 back when."

You definitely hit it on the head from my perspective, Peakbagr. Watching your conversation about the 100 on this board can't help but make me think how similar it probably is to the types of conversations that the early 46Rs of Troy must have had. If there is anything sucking me into the idea that this might be something I want to think about trying, that is it. I don't know if that makes sense, but we all know what a different experience doing the 46 now is compared to in the 40s and 50s. While the 46 still make a great list, these mountains are certainly far more accessible than they used to be. Many of the ADK100 are not. I'm only 35 so even if I wind up going with the County HP list for now (which I'm still leaning towards as this offers more of an opportunity to explore parts of NY where I've never been and also to make use of my mountain bike), I still have plenty of time to possibly do the 100 further down the road. Anyway, good luck in your ADK travels.

Its funny that you mention the early 46ers. I had the same thoughts during a conversation with a friend about climbing ADK100.
It was a really fun thing chasing the 46 thirty years ago. And a letdown to finish. The planning, who's free this weekend, talk about where the herd path were (yes, real herd paths), etc.
We used to remark then how different it was doing the 46 back in the early days of the Adirondack 46ers. No Northway. No ADK trail maps, no VFTT, no high tech, low weight gear. Word of mouth on the best way to do things.

The ADK100 for me is bringing back a lot of the fun I miss from the days when we were chasing the 46 for the first time. The bottom 50 of the peaks are smaller, but the woodsmanship required makes them "interesting".

"bigmoose", I had forgotten about the articles written about the ADK 100 highest. There's one more some of you may be interested in reviewing: "The Peaks Less Traveled" which appeared in the Spring/Summer, 1992 issue of ADIRONDACK PEEKS.

After just jumping into the fray with a short but true bushwhack up Avalanche (#63), I can certainly say that this is definitely a list (ADK100) that I want to pursue. I'm finding the freedom of the open (okay, at times very closed) woods very invigorating. Crazy as it sounds, I can see there is something to pushing your way through the deep penetrating 2nd growth, with only little evidence of man's prior passage, that really is really satisfying. In some ways, just as much as steeping up on a big open summit.

Avalanche was only number 49 for me, but that's a start. Other than about 18-20 "freebies" though, I got all the real tough ones left. I've got solid off trail skills, but limited ADK bushwhacking under the belt , so going along with some of the more hardy soles has been helpful. I'm gonna try to tag along on some more of the upcoming adventures if possible, it certainly helps the learning curve.

Just as one list winds down, another is born. I'm up for the challenge of it, but I know (living 280 miles away) the logistics of it will be real tough, in some ways tougher than many of the hikes themselves. It's a long time venture though. But hey, it it were easy, we'd all do it.

People like John, Dennis and others that have posted on here definitely get a tip of the hat from me and a great big thanks for those that have taken the time to share.

Mavs,
Nice Avatar. I climbed Avalanche earlier this year and took a very similiar photo. I too like the idea of picking away at that list. I'm up to #63 but don't have any real freebies left! I'm thinking of including TR in a hike Thursday if you are free. It's the closest to a freebie I have left!

Ha!! Another masochist joins the club! Welcome to the wonderful world of 'whackin, Mavs. I would, however, recommend gloves, pants, long sleeves, and especially glasses or goggles for the inevitable close encounters with some of the not-so-nice vegetation, cliffs, etc. (You'll need your eyes to see the maps, GPS, and, of course, the ViewsFromTreeTops!)

Nice to meet you on Avalanche and at Spence's.
May you have good luck and blue skies for Whiteface and Esther!

John

Dennis C. said:
As one of several here who have done both of these peak lists (ADK 100 and NE 100), I can offer this : the ADK bushwhacks (other than the 4000 footers) are definitely more remote and difficult, and less information is available to climbers about them. I was ready to call an end to NY peaks with the ADK 100 and Catskill 3500s, but John Swanson

and......

John H. Swanson said:
So by 2000, there must be at least 10-20 but probably many more completers.

The adk100 have gained popularity lately, especially in winter. By now, I guess the number is in the 50s.

*** UPDATE ***

Sorry, to dredge up and old thread...... but I thought I'd add an update.. A friend of mine has looked into the history quite a bit and it's my understanding, that likely, at this point no more than 35-40 have finished really finished, with quite a few "giver upers" along the way.

However I know at least 1 that has finished this year and 3 at 99 and will finish soon. I've myself moved passed 3/4 done and likely will finish sometime next year with my 15 y/o son (who climbs with me). Neil will, matching my pace or slightly outpacing me, will likely finish sometime next year too. That's at least 7 that could will likely add to the total (I will, unless I get lost in the Sawtooths ;) ) We are not alone.

The mountains that Boomer and Lee climbed in the 70's are rapidly being lost....... This list is finding popularity, and I just HOPE that everyone chasing it, is doing their upmost to keep the peaks as much like what guys like Dennis and John found when they did them......... From some of what I've seen, they are not :(

sometimes I even feel guilty by climbing them, I just can't help myself..... Anyone else feel that way.....

Okay, This thread will likely fall back to obscurity :cool: . I just thought I'd add that in.

Mark S said:
Come next year, I'm going to have to decide between the ADK100 and NY County highpoints. I definitely want to do another NY list (also done the Cats) and will take the winter to decide between these two.

Do both. I'm going to work on the 115 and the ADK100 at the same time. Hopefully this will keep me from going "list crazy" with lots of options. Plus I can go to NH and Maine on long weekends and stick to the ADK's on regular weekends.

-Shayne
50/100
54/115