100 mile wilderness sobo

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvios lincoln

Reaction score
I've pretty much completed planning of a 100 mile wilderness trip from Katahdin to Monson. I plan on getting a 3 day food drop at Katahdin Iron Works road for the last 30 miles or so. I am also leaving open the possibility of leaving the last 30 miles until next year and getting a shuttle out at that point. I have secured Baxter reservations and shuttles into Baxter to start the trip.

I left myself two options in the planning process. I will either start on 8/28 or 9/5. I want to start the hike by climbing Katahdin in nice weather.

I am 52 and experienced in backpacking. I plan to hike 10 to 15 miles each day of the trip. I would consider self-sufficient reliable company for this trip if you have interest and capability. So far I am planning to solo.

Steve

This is on our "to-do" list for next summer. I believe that we will do it NOBO though. I am hoping to stay at the shelters ONLY, but will pack a tyvek tarp tent for three, just in case. We will not be planning on a specific date, rather we will look at extended weather forecasts as a way to hopefully avoid as much precipitation as possible. I am REALLY looking forward to reading your trail report.....

A general comment is that the 100 mile wilderness is a very busy place in August and early September and there is a distinct possibility that shelters will be full. A backup shelter and groundsheet is highly recommended as the typical thruhikers idea of enough space in the shelter, may not line up with a typical backpackers idea. It also allows skipping some of the less pleasant spots like Chairback Gap Shelter (right on the trail, long walk to the outhouse and marginal water supply). Also, one of the most spectacular spots to camp in the section is the Antlers Campsite, which has no shelter, its on a point of land that sticks out into a undeveloped lake in a grove of very large white pines with a sandy beach.

...the typical thruhikers idea of enough space in the shelter, may not line up with a typical backpackers idea.
Funny, I've noticed that as well. The three of us take up probably less room than two thru hikers. The first thing we do when we get to a shelter is lay our mats and sleeping bags down. Stake our claim and guard it with our lives....I have not had any issues with anyone so far.

Also, one of the most spectacular spots to camp in the section is the Antlers Campsite, which has no shelter, its on a point of land that sticks out into a undeveloped lake in a grove of very large white pines with a sandy beach.

I second that.

I stayed there 12 years ago when I was 16, and it still has an indelible mark with me as far as what the perfect campsite should be.

100 Mile Wilderness

I have a Tarptent Contrail. It only weighs about 1.5 pounds. I was planning to stay at Antler's. I will start in Baxter SP and climb Katahdin. I have a couple sets of reservations at that end to leave me some leeway as to my start date. I would like to hike Katahdin in nice weather.

I decided I'm only going as far as Katahdin Iron Works Road this year. I'll do the last 30 miles into Monson next year. I'm planning to hike 10 to 14 miles per day and plan to enjoy the area. I have read many thru-hiker journals where they expressed regret at blowing through the last 80 miles or so too fast.