100 mile wilderness

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elvios lincoln

Reaction score
I'm planning to complete the Maine section of the AT with a s-n 100mw trip in late August or early Sept. Planning for 9 +/- days including Katahdin. Interest or advice welcome.

It's fun. It's definitely not the most remote 100-mile stretch in Maine, but it is fun. There are a number of logging roads that make access easier then you would think. The southern section-Barren-Chairback and White Cap-are the difficult pieces, but with some really great views and remote ponds down off the trail. After that the trail starts winding around these massive ponds and the hiking is fairly easy. The ponds all seemed to have lovely beaches, so don't be afraid to sit back and enjoy yourself. Antlers Campsite, which is north of the Jo-Mary Road, was one of the nicest campsites on the entire Appalachian Trail, and I unfortanately hit it at about ten in the morning and hiked on. Make sure you bring something for bugs. And have fun, because it's a great section.

General advice-if you want to peakbag White Cap, drive in from the west, park at the gate and walk in on the logging road until you reach the trail crossing. If takes hours to find the road from the east.

The first stretch from Monson to White Cap will kick your butt, plan on reduced mileage as the trail has a lot of elevation change and MATC doesnt beleive in switchbacks, although there is some incredible rock work. Once you descend white cap, it crusing time.

Figure out the latest park rules for thru hikers at Katahdin, they can change. I havent looked lately but I beleive that you need to sign up for the Birches at Abol Bridge, if its full, then you have to camp outside the park and awit until the next day. Hiking Katahdin from outside the park would be a real long day.

Adding in Gulf Hagas eats up half a day.

I am not a fan of Chairback Gap shelter, the water source is bog and tent sites are limited. The privy is located in the next valley.

There are quite a few private road crossings and a lot more day use than you would expect.

There usually are a couple of summer camp/youth programs who run trips for the entire summer season. They usually stay away from shelters but can fill up tentsites.

Cooper Brook Falls Shelter has one of the highest rated swimming holes on the AT. Antlers Campsite is a must stay.

Definitely check out Potowayjo Spring.

One of the shleters is just north of a Canadian National railroad track, the freight trains come through in the middle of the night and they will wake you up

"Borestone" on whiteblaze used to offer resupply services about half way in. Not Sure if he still does. Shaws in Monson does shuttles in the area but it eats up a day. Katahdin Air also does air shuttles, more expensive but faster.

Have fun

A search of this site should produce some terrific trip reports. I recall one report describing the 100 mile wilderness as a series of day trips or short backpacks (askus3 was it?).

I found by exploring the logging road system, mostly as shown in a couple editions of DeLorme, that a cache with resupply every 2-3 days was possible with the up front legwork or, should I say, high clearance roadwork. With AMC's Northwoods initiative however, I expect that some of these roads are no longer maintained periodically for logging and others are now probably gated. Too bad. These reconnaisance trips made for some really fun hikes on side trails (e.g. a loop including West Chairback Pond, the AT and a road walk) and also revealed possible obstacles (e.g. Long Pond Stream after an extraordinary rainy spell).

Enjoy!!

I fell in love with backpacking doing the 100 mile wilderness with my son in 1999 despite making plenty of mistakes and being hopelessly over-packed.

I've been planning another trip and would definitely stay at Antlers again. I agree with GBKD on this campground. If you are still allowed to set up a tent right by the water, do so. Sunset and sunrise were phenomenal.

I'd also be sure to take plenty of opportunities to swim. Don't stand around in the water as there are leeches, but enjoy some of the great lakes and ponds.

I also agree with peakbagger that it gets easier as you go north. Monson to White Cap wouldn't be that tough for a weekend backpack - but with food supplies for the whole trip it can be a butt kicker.

We hitched back to Monson - its a good idea to start early in the day if you are doing this.

We definitely enjoyed Whitehouse Landing - I hear they are not as in love with backpackers as they were when they first connected to the trail (a new logging road made access more practical), but I gather it is still worth a visit for a good meal and some minor resupply.