100 mile wilderness

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtlukekultv

Reaction score
has anyone out there done the 100 mile wilderness in maine? i want to do it at the end of this summer. any thoughts you want to share about it would be greatly appreciated. i think i could do it in 7-8 days, but i would allow myself 9-10, just in case. any great/horrible experiences?

luke

You beat me to it. I was also going to post asking for info. I'm going to backpack it this July. :)

Rambler and I did it last September. had a great time (but almost got washed away at one point).

Here's my report with plenty of pictures: 100 Mile Wilderness report.

After summiting Katahdin, we spent another 4 days in Baxter bagging various peaks. The overall trip was one of the best of any I have done.

July might be a bit early though: bugs, and more bugs, plus the stream fords may be a bit higher. Late August and September are better IMHO. And don't rush; do all the side trips (Gulf Hagas, White House Landing, etc.)

Have fun. It's a great trip.

Did it a couple years ago

Two things that stick out still, Lots of people, Lots of rain. Use a tent with no-see-um bug screens. Use stiff boots.

Don’t go too fast, there is a lot to see if you take your time. Take a fish pole if you like to fish (don’t forget a license) really nice hike,

I'm also headed for the 100-Mile Wilderness this summer... can't wait for the trip, as it will be the final piece of my New England AT section hike. :)

Papa Bear, your report is terrific (I already had it bookmarked) and has already been very helpful in my planning!

- Ivy

I did it with my son (he turned 13 on the trail) five years ago. We loved it. Be very weight concious and have lots of fun. Search for old threads here and on the amc boards and you'll get loads of information. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions I can.

Shaws and the Pie Lady run hiker hostels near the South end of the trail and are willing to shuttle you to either end of the trail (they'll charge for the Abol Bridge North End). We went south to north and hitch-hiked back to the Monson trail head.

Last edited:
pedxing said:
Shaws and the Pie Lady run hiker hostels near the South end of the trail and are willing to shuttle you to either end of the trail (they'll charge for the Abol Bridge North End). We went south to north and hitch-hiked back to the Monson trail head.
There's been some changes in Monson this year. Old Keith Shaw died and his son young Keith is taking over. They may cut out something (like serving dinner) to alleviate some of the load on Pat (Mrs. Shaw).

I've also heard the Pie Lady will not be operating this year. So plan in advance if you need some services out of Monson.

Oh, and by all means get the ATC's Maine Trail Guide: Here
and check out the on-line Companion: Here. The Companion has lots of info on off-trail services: towns, hostels, etc.

Have fun and feel free to ask any specific questions.

Pb

Hey Pb,

I'll ask a question.

Did you include a stop at White House Landing, and how did you find the experience?

Tramper Al said:
Hey Pb,
I'll ask a question.
Did you include a stop at White House Landing, and how did you find the experience?
We did and it was GREAT!

aec.thumb.jpg

Papa Bear enjoys a cold one at White House Landing

Here's the section of my report on that.

We picked up mail drops which meant we only had to carry 5 days of food to that point, and enjoyed the place imensely. The proprietors were very nice and have reoriented their place from a hunting camp to a hiker hostel. Even if you decide not to stay over night (which we did) you should go there for lunch (Ice Cream and ONE POUND burgers) and possibly get your mail drop. Be careful of timing for lunch, it's only served at certain hours.

Here's their link.

Pb

Last edited:
I did the 100 Mile Wilderness section over two different summers with a group of girl scouts, about 50 miles each summer. We did make a stop at White House Landing, and had terrific service. We were able to use their canoes etc. and paddle around on the lake in the evening which was a fantastic change/break from hiking.

One piece of advice--if you are going in mid/late August when the bugs aren't bad at all (when we went), bring a hammock and tarp set up rather than a tent for a wonderful and peaceful experience. It allows you a lot more flexibility when the shelters are crowded, and is SOOO comfortable!!

One trivial piece of advice. Stay at the Antlers campground, it is stunning. There are some great sites right on the lake... sun sets and sun rises were stunning.

Thanks for clarifying PB.

The talk of White House also brings back memories, I was there the summer that it was connected to the AT by a new logging road. The owners were thrilled witht the new business and seemed very hiker friendly. I think the owners father was on the AT or had just done it.

pedxing said:
One trivial piece of advice. Stay at the Antlers campground, it is stunning. There are some great sites right on the lake... sun sets and sun rises were stunning.
And if you stay at Antlers, it's an easy hike to make lunch at White House Landing.

I wanna go back. :) :)

Pb

thanks everyone

all this info is super helpful, but how long did it take all of you? is 7-8 days too ambitious? it sounds like i should make a lot of the side trips, how many days would that add? 1-2? it sounds like i'm going to need a bigger pack...

luke

vtlukekultv said:
all this info is super helpful, but how long did it take all of you? is 7-8 days too ambitious? it sounds like i should make a lot of the side trips, how many days would that add? 1-2? it sounds like i'm going to need a bigger pack...
luke
7 days to Abol Bridge where we had spotted our car
2 more to summit K

This includes one section skipped due to stream overflow and a day lost recovering, so 7 is good. It includes about half a day in Gulf Hagas. The rest of the side trips were peaks off the trail like Nesuntabunt and overlooks etc. You won't add 2 days. Our average daily distance was something like 14 miles. Just don't rush or try to keep up with thru hikers who will be flying by you.

Read the report.

Pb

Last edited:
I've hiked the 100-mile wilderness twice, once at the end of my AT thru-hike in 94 and once as a section hike in 95. I'd planned for 8 days the first time, but somehow ran short on food, so cut it short and did it in 5 days -- too fast. The second time I did it w/ a friend in 10 days -- plenty of extra time. Next time I think I'd plan on 8 days. Lots of great places to swim. And, yes, Antler's campsite is wonderful. I had it all to myself one night, except for the loons. My preference is to hike it the end of August or beginning of September. There may be more college groups out in September. It's a great stretch of trail. Have a blast!

My son and I were way over-packed (I was a bit too obsessed with making sure I was keeping him safe and that I'd have everything he needed, plenty of food for a 13 day trip) and we finished on day 9 - which still allowed us time to stop and swim a few times. I'm sure you could do it in less time, we were unaware of White House Landing and weren't very strong hikers.

It was on that trip that I learned the importance of being disciplined about weight and packing.

Day hiking the Hundred Mile Wilderness

If you choose to dayhike the hundred mile wilderness you can do it with only two nights out. I chose to do it this way. Trip report is here. (Note: the picture links have been removed.) Scroll down to Maine AT post: Abol Bridge to Rainbow Stream post and work your way up. This was a trip I did in August 2003 southbound. Any further questions e-mail me at: [email protected] and I will help you in any way I can as I spent alot of time researching this area to make this possible. Also give you hints on how to make the trip go even smoother. It is hard to believe but you actually can dayhike the entire state of Maine with only one night out backpacking! Nothing wrong with backpacking and some enjoy it but not my cup of tea. A remote campsite along a wilderness road is fine with me and a campgound with a shower facility is luxuriously satisfying. Anyway, I just post this here for another option that you have open to you and another viewpoint on how to hike the 100 Mile Wilderness (and another report to read).

Last edited: