12/22/11 NH Winter Solstice - Northwood Meadows & Piper trail(work)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperhill

Reaction score
Ok, I lied. I said my trip to Champney Falls in late November would be my last trailwork trip of the year. Some peakbag, I do trailwork. We all have our addictions!

Winter solstice at 12:30am. Felt more like a Spring morning but without bird and frog song. Initial plans to hike a big peak in the White Mountains changed so moved on to an old standby / favorite. trailwork.

First on tap, an early morning walk with my favorite dog at Northwood Meadows State Park (Northwood NH). Intense alpenglow viewed on the way. Also nice sunrise colors at my home:

Walking around Northwood Meadow lake, clouds are dark blue with undersides bright with sunrise. Fog rolling over a partially frozen lake. All of these made for a nice start ...with the exception of speeding logging trucks. (Hikers, walkers beware - Northwood Meadows state park is a multi-use park/trail which means little concern is made for two-legged and four legged hikers.)

Moved on to some very late season trailwork on my "home" trail - Piper Trail on Mt. Chocorua. Woods are empty now. Even beeches have shed their leaves. A view into the forest and up Hammond ridge... still snowy and icy despite the warm weather.

Trailwork…more than a few swings of my axe and I realize I'm out of shape. My axe has held up better then me. Mann Edge Co. Axe - probably more than 60 years old. A $15 find from a local antique store. Glad to have it working again.

Chop, chop, thonk. The axe makes a particular sound went purchase is gained. The axe works by cutting, chipping, and chiseling. You can't chop a tree by hitting the same spot over and over again.

Took out about 10 blowdowns. Here's a quick progression of my blowdown removal (one end at least):

This one was a beech which I've heard aren't fairing so well in our warming climate.

Unsettlingly warm for this early in the year. A hint of things to come? I hope not. I like winter. Ah well, for now I'll just appreciate the beauty of walking and working in early winter woods.

Terrific report, and awesome axe-work, Chris!

And by the way, trailwork is addictive, it's true!
However, unlike some addictions, it's NOT hazardous to your health. Actually, the side-effects are generally beneficial rather than harmful.;):D

Trailwork is addictive, all right

Cooperhill,
I am glad to see you are making the most of your day.
After 30 years in the business I like my addiction, it is comforting to know there is something I can do that helps others and the job never ends (some are senior to me, I salute them and wish them long life and happiness).
I have worked the same trails for 26 years, and also travel to others from time to time for new challenges for my crews and myself. Keeps us fresh and interested.
Keep your tools sharp and shiny, Creag nan drochaid

thank you

great pix and great trailwork!:)
hopefully the beech trees and weather start seeing eye to eye..