Mt. Chocorua - Piper Trail Maintenance May 2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooperhill

Reaction score
Since I'm just wrapping up spring work on this trail, I thought I'd throw together a report.

This is my 3rd year of adopting on this trail and the hours of work have paid off. The Piper trail is one of the busiest trails in the Whites. Though I've been thinking recently that Champney Falls must now compete for this title. It is busy but working mostly during the week I rarely see many people. I do enjoy meeting people on the trail as it is a chance for a rest (for both me the worker and them the hikers) and a bit of "getting the word out" for the USFS adopt-a-trail program.

I decided to start the work early this year, so in early May over the series of two trips I made it to the summit and cleared about 10 blowdowns on the entire length of trail. I only have the Nickerson ledge trail jnt. to the summit, but I usually take care of clearing the entire trail. I built a new axe this year using an old True Temper Kelly Perfect head - restored and re-handled by me. It has worked great on the hemlock and beech blowdowns.

I also took on the 0.5 mile West Side trail route this year which was thankfully easy to complete. A bit of brushing and some blowdown removal, and the route is cleared. Not a popular route but a necessary one (in bad weather).

The rest of my work trips (total 30ish hours) have been spent clearing and rehab-ing the 100 or so drainages on the trail. It is a lot of work due to the type of soils (the bars fill up quick) and probably due to the fact that I'm particular and move somewhat slowly. Every time I clear one I try and improve it a little bit - mostly fixing outflows. This saves work in the next year.

The several trips and many hours on the trail might seem like a chore to most but not to me. Obviously I love being on the trail and taking the time to see it in spring, fall, late fall, and early winter. Lots of wildlife to see (and hear) if you are hanging about. It's also nice to see the progress from year to year.

I'm now moving on to some hiking and more trailwork (on other trails). I'll be back to the Piper trail in the fall.

Here are a few pictures of blowdowns removed. I forget to take before and after shots.

New axe at work:

A old beech leaner that I finally took out:

Full album: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/580160155GeIWvp?vhost=outdoors

Love the new axe,sure does a nice job.Nice clean looking cut too.Your good Skills are showing.
Keep up the good work it IS appreciated.;)

Love the new axe,sure does a nice job.Nice clean looking cut too.Your good Skills are showing.
Keep up the good work it IS appreciated.;)
Huge kudos to you Chris for your trailwork! And, I completely agree with the above statement made by TrailwrightBratt.

Also, I'm very impressed by you "clearing and rehab-ing the 100 or so drainages on the trail". I do know how time-consuming and labor-intensive that type of work can be!