17-Year Cicadas on the Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Avatar-Keaton (4) & Dad enjoying the snow on Wachu
17-Year Cicadas on the Trail and other tales of insects

I was out hiking one of my last sections of the AT in PA near Duncannon on Sunday and saw my first signs of the 17 year Brood 'X' Cicadas.

17 Year Cicadas

As I got closer to the Susquehanna and lower elevation, I could hear a constant humming in the background. I started walking through an Oak Forest. I kept noticing numerous small holes straight into the ground, as if someone jammed a pencil in the dirt.

While I was standing at the next bunch of 30-40 holes I happened to look up rather than down at the holes - Looking at the trees, I counted 24 large brown cicada shells attached to the trees.

I remember playing with these as a youngster.

As I walked along, I noticed more and more of these shells on the trees. I have to admit it we pretty cool and at times a little freaky to see so many holes in the ground and so many shells.

I also got a chance to see a couple of cicadas in flight - Huge, Yellow & Black and ugly.

It reminds me of hiking the Susquehannock Trail in the early 90's when there was a population boom (and then a subesequent crash?) of 'Elm-Span Worms' The are huge green tent caterpillars and they defoliated most of the trees, killing many.
You could not hike along the trail without a large stick in front of you to swish away the webs and dangling worms. We were constantly picking little worms off everyone's backpacks as we hiked. I do not want to hike through these things again.

Elm Span Worm Life

Another year, '98 I think, there was a boom of gypsy moths or perhaps just the adult Elm Span Worm Moths. - millions of these things - pass the day hiding in tree bark and come out in the evening. They alighted on everything and in the shine of the headlight, their tiny eyes would glow bright yellow/green - There were hundreds sitting on each tent and everywhere we had wet clothes hanging to dry, there were thousands - It was our guess they were attracted to the salt in our sweaty clothes. They caused no harm, but they again, were a little freaky.

Anybody else experience any freakish outburst of insects like this ??

Cheers

PS: Although these aren't my photos, here is link to some very freakish potos showing the outbreak in Maryland. Don't look at these if you are squeamish about insects.....

Cicada Swarms

Last edited:
I remember the gypsy moth plauge growing up on Long Island, but nothing since then. Well, there was the end of June High Peaks camp trip where it seemed every species of insect was going through a brood X moment. There were butterflies in the food bag I tell you,

But I digress. Not to highjack your thread, but would you or anyone else be interested in an overnight backpack to check out the little monsters. I'm thinking the delaware water gap may be a good location?

Here's a valuable source of information about Cicadas:

http://www.cicadaville.com/

This website tells the "real truth":

Human children are the primary source of nutrition for Cicadas.

That buzzing sound they make is actually a battle cry that roughly translates as "Kill the Humans".

They don't know how Cicadas make that buzzing sound, but suspect it is generated deep within their evil soul.

:D

I'm showing my age, but I survived the 1981 gypsy moth infestation. Hardwoods suffered mightily but mostly they were able to weather losing so many leaves. The little buggers also feasted on pine trees which didn't fare as well. It was a nasty thing, having worms drop on you all the time and moths flying at you.

Here in southern NJ, I have not seen or heard any yet, but down on Elk Neck last weekend, on the northern Chesapeake, they were out in spades. Could even hear them driving at highway speed with the windows down. Stopped to look at one point - apparently stood still too long, for a couple of 'em crawled up my leg & started mating (which is really all they are about).

Its amazing the amount of mis-information out there about them. Web sites for pest control companies are the worst! Trivia - all periodic cicada broods (and there are several) are based on a cycle of prime numbers! I think they are really aliens out to control the world...

Warren, I'm not so sure you know what you are asking for. Several years ago I spent a weekend camped on a hilltop in Northern Dutchess Co.. In the middle of a field where the hatch had just occured.
The continous noise level was S9+5dB all weekend. We spent all our time raking them from our hair and other body parts. Yawning was dangerous! They fly like drunken sailors (no offense to the sailors out there, drunk or otherwise). In a few hours they can drive you mad.
Have a great trip, I can't wait to see the pictures!
Tom

"According to Kritsky, the best time to eat a cicada is just after they break open their youthful skin. "When you eat them when they're soft and mushy, when they come out of their skin, they taste like cold, canned asparagus," he said."

Um...yuk. After looking at the photos, I want to know who decided to eat one! :eek: Plus, I much prefer fresh asparagus.

Trailbiscuit, besides "western" countries most of the world uses insects as a reliable source of protien. I bet they taste like crunchy chicken:D