2 days just north of SF

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all,

We've got two days to spend just north of SF next month before we attend a wedding. Right now now we're planning on spending one day at Point Reyes/Mt Tam/Muir Woods and another over by Mt Diablo before heading to the wedding site just south of there. Any suggestions for dayhikes in either location or other options we should consider. We're not looking to drive too much, rather spend time with boots on the ground.

-dave-

Last edited:
A lot of trails on Mt. Tamalpais just south of Pt. Reyes. You could spend quite a bit of time there.

Dipsea Trail from Mill Valley to Stinson Beach is an iconic walk, though it doesn't go over Mount Tam. Another Greta one is along the coast from Tennessee Valley to The Pelican Inn for lunch. Anything on Mount Tam is gorgeous, especially the north side of the mountain, by the reservoirs. Even better than hiking, IMHO, is mountain biking... They invented it the, you know!

My daughter and I were out in Muir Woods in Feb. and hiked a loop that started climbing up the Ocean View Trail and ended with the Dipsea Trail. I can't recall all the trails in between. We hiked about 5 miles that day. There was a Fern something or other Trail that looked great also, and I recall deciding between Ocean View and Hillside. Couldn't do it all in a one day trip. I'd love to go back. Have fun out there.

Hi Dave, I have spent a bit of time on the Marin trails. There are a lot of them and most are lovely.

Muir Woods will be crowded but definitely worth seeing. Just plan to get there early. Keep in mind that most of the roads are windy and hilly, so it will take longer to get from Point A to Point B than it might appear from a quick glance at a map. (And it's California so the traffic will be crazy!)

There are plenty of trails in the Muir Woods area if you don't want to drive much. Muir Beach is just down the road a bit and has some nice coastal hiking. Or drive up to Pantoll for some hiking on Mt Tam. The trails and views are great, but if it's a weekend, might want to pick 'hiker only' trails (as opposed to Mtn bike). Stinson Beach is worth checking out. The somewhat famous Dipsea trail runs from Mill Valley (hard to find trailhead) to Stinson Beach.

I've been to Point Reyes just once and did a run/hike on the southern end of the park that included Mt Wittenburg and Alamere Falls which was awesome! Never made it all the way out to the point but could see it from the ridges I traversed. Point Reyes is definitely worth the drive.

If it's possible to spend the two days in Marin/Point Reyes, I would do that and forget about Mt Diablo (Devil's Mtn!). Since it's inland, it will most likely be hot. And since CA is in very bad drought, the grasses will be dry and brown
Also a friend of mine got bit by a rattlesnake on Mt Diablo so I have a prejudice against that Mtn! (There ARE some nice trails there though.)

If you have time in SF, check out The Presidio and Golden Gate Park (and Haight-Asbury!). Be a tourist and walk/run across the Golden Gate Bridge. Have fun!!

Thanks for the advice everyone. We'll be there Thursday and Friday so mid-week crowds should be OK. We've already started thinking about just spending the two days over in Marin and not worrying about Diablo, especially since we have to be in Livermore for the welcome dinner so it would be an early day. I like the idea of Muir one day with a visit to Point Reyes for Friday morning .

A few years ago we did a loop up Mt Tam from Stinson Beach where we went up the Matt Davis Trail and down the Steep Ravine/Dipsea, with a short road walk back. You could do a bunch of additional stuff from there, including visiting Muir woods. The trails are typical west coast trails (smooth with switch backs) so it's pretty easy to bang out 15 miles and 3k vertical.

I would second stinkyfeet and say keep closer to the coast to avoid the hear (unless you like the heat!). Doing a day and Stinson and a day at Point Reyes sounds awesome!

Last edited:
...or you could just go to he 2AM Club in Mill Vally and drink anchor Steam and shoot pool for a couple days! That's where I met my wife.

Alas, neither Alcatraz nor Mill Valley clubbing are on the agenda. :) I've done Alcatraz years ago and we're both past our clubbing days.

Dave-
I spent 5 years living in that general area as a grad student through 2009 and have spent considerable time in all of the areas mentioned and then some. Here are my thoughts:
1. Diablo really is pretty cool - a singular peak/ridge in the middle of a vast expanse of flatness. A bit like Katahdin, in a way. It will be HOT and DRY. It doesn't rain in north/central CA from May until December most years, so it is always brown all summer. This is just part of the desert landscape and you can find tremendous beauty in the browns and golds in the same way you can find beauty in barren tundra above treeline in the Whites. There are a couple of pretty long loop hikes possible that pass over all of the sub-peaks on the ridge. A full day with boots on the ground, if that's what you want.
2. Point Reyes is well worth your time. My favorite hike is the hike to Alemere falls and Wildcat Beach via Bass Lake. See this synopsis. You start in a eucalyptus grove, a smell you will never forget. Then a lot of dry, sandy brown and gold hiking to Bass Lake, which you can swim in (you'll return the same way, so we usually took a dip on the way back - note that you may encounter people sans bathing suits. This is true of any place outside of a quarter mile radius of a parking lot in this part of CA.). Eventually you get out to some smaller ponds and to the coast. To avoid poison oak, you can hike to Wildcat Beach and then hike the beach to the falls, rather than taking the short cut directly to the falls - a path that is consistently choked with poison oak. Return the way you came.
3. Muir woods is unique and pretty. But there is a paved path through it that you follow. Consequently, to me, it feels like the summit of Mt. Washington. Doesn't mean you shouldn't go, just know what to expect.
4. Which brings me to the weather. Expect foggy and windy and cold anytime you're within a mile of the coast. Sometimes it clears. Probably as often as it does on the summit of Washington. As a matter of fact, you'd do well to pack the same kind of clothing for a stroll through SF and across the Golden Gate Bridge as you would for a hike to the summit of Washington in the summer. Also, you may never get a view beyond a quarter of a mile. At all other times, expect it to be blazing hot. There is no in between.
5. If you're right in SF, go to Baker Beach. The view of the Golden Gate bridge cannot be beat. Note what I said in point 2 above regarding bathing suits. Also close by are Battery Spencer and Hawk Hill: right after you cross the Golden Gate bridge into Marin, take the first exit and head up the big hill to the Marin Headlands. The view down to the bridge and across the bay to SF is truly special.
6. The ocean is very cold. It doesn't change much from winter to summer, and usually stays around 55 degrees F.

Enjoy,
Brian

If you have time on your way back to SF, stop by Sausalito. Its just a beautifull little town, that is walking friendly. Its quaint, has some nice gallery's and eateries right on the bay with views of the city. It has a small town vibe, that has you disbelieving SF is right across the bay.

I've spent time in Sausalito, perfect place for a lazy brunch. We may swing through there as well but I think we're going to be pushed for time by then.