2 guys, 3 days, 4 Border Patrol encounters and 5 peaks to finish the NEHH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting. Your TR makes a great read. It was fun deciphering the maps and tracks and narrative to piece together this exciting adventure! I have a photo showing a little cart I came across while following a trail that led to boundary swath frm Canadian side. It was not far from one of those big blinds actually 2 or 3 tenths from swath. Those blinds remind me of aerial versions of ice fishing houses.

IMG_3191-L.jpg

Last edited:
As someone who has hiked out to Boundary from Porter Brk on a hot summer day, I can only imagine what it's like in winter

I have had a few Border Patrol encounters near pavement but find it startling how much they now patrol the backcountry - exactly what are people supposed to be smuggling out there and does the BP catch anybody or just joyride? Did you meet other groups or are all the tracks from the govt? Sounds like it would be better to leave the snow untouched and let drones check for any activity :)

We saw no tracks of other hikers on any of the routes to the five peaks. A couple snowmobiles (sleds) Thursday on Big Canyon Road and plenty of sleds on Big Canyon on Saturday as we were heading back to the SUV. Big Canyon (and Wiggles Brook Road) are part of the ITS...International Trail System for snowmobile clubs.

There were a couple guys on sleds bombing up and down the slash as we reached Boundary summit. They flew up one side, went airborne for twenty feet or so and down the other side. On our way back south along the slash towards Peak 3520, one of them deliberately buzzed Pat within a hiking pole length.