2005 NH/NE/NEast Peakbagging Stats

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
Mike Dickerman's hiking column, which I've excerpted below, in today's subscription-only online Littleton Courier reports on peakbagging stats for 2005 from the FTFC awards dinner. The full text also mentions Tim Seaver's accomplishments and an 11-year old girl's completion of the NE 111 this year, which makes her the second-youngest to claim that award.

[start quote]

. . . . Per usual, the most popular peakbagging list is the New Hampshire 4,000-Footer list, which includes 48 White Mountain summits. With more than 300 persons finishing the New Hampshire list this past year for the first time ever, the total number of finishers passed another milestone with 8,254 all-season hikers having now “bagged” the 48 summits. (For the record, the new single season benchmark is 310 finishers.) Another 30 hikers (another record) were honored for completing all the New Hampshire peaks this past winter season, upping the total number of all-time winter finishers to 361 trampers.

The Four Thousand Footer Club (FTFC) also keeps track of hikers who’ve climbed all the New England 4,000-Footers and the Hundred Highest peaks in the six-state region. According to Eric Savage, chairman of the FTFC, 81 hikers completed the all-season New England 4K list last year, bringing the cumulative total to 2,139, while there were a record 31 Hundred Highest finishers, upping the all-time count to 632. As always, the winter numbers for those two lists was significantly smaller with just six additional New England 4K finishers and three new Hundred Highest honorees. The all-time totals in those two winter categories now stands at 118 and 73 respectively.

Though not technically a part of the FTFC’s responsibilities, the club also maintains on a voluntary basis the list of finishers for the lesser known Northeast 111 list, which includes all the 4,000-footers from New England and New York. Technically the list now includes 115 summits, but for historical reasons, I assume, the 111 number has remained in the club’s official name.

For the record, there were 20 new Northeast 111 all-season finishers this past year and three winter finishers. The all-season list passed the 500 mark and now stands at 513. The winter list now has 45 finishers. . . .
[end quote]
P.S. This should be moved. I thought I was posting it in Q&A.

Last edited:
Waumbek said:
The full text also mentions ... an 11-year old girl's completion of the NE 111 this year, which makes her the second-youngest to claim that award.

That would be Beth Sikes, daughter of Dianne 'The Sikes' Sikes! :D Congrats!

Last edited:
Waumbek said:
[start quote]

With more than 300 persons finishing the New Hampshire list this past year for the first time ever, the total number of finishers passed another milestone with 8,254 all-season hikers having now “bagged” the 48 summits. (For the record, the new single season benchmark is 310 finishers.) Another 30 hikers (another record) were honored for completing all the New Hampshire peaks this past winter season, upping the total number of all-time winter finishers to 361 trampers.

The Four Thousand Footer Club (FTFC) also keeps track of hikers who’ve climbed all the New England 4,000-Footers and the Hundred Highest peaks in the six-state region. According to Eric Savage, chairman of the FTFC, 81 hikers completed the all-season New England 4K list last year, bringing the cumulative total to 2,139, while there were a record 31 Hundred Highest finishers, upping the all-time count to 632.
[end quote]

Of course, this number only represents the "peakbaggers" who have notified the AMC of their completion. The actual completion list I'm sure is higher.
;)

Not me! I don't hike enough to do it in a sigle year. :(