2012 Spring Wildflower Thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a little slow posting, nor do I know what kind of flower this is... but our daughters picked these from the woods/boggy area behind our house last weekend (3/25). For size reference, they are next to tulips.

554556_2685864400395_1669965223_1712937_954619722_n.jpg

Last edited:
Those are Trailing Arbutus, or Mayflower...very early to see them in Barrington, but not a surprise this year!

Bloodroot and Spring Beauty...

The parade of way to early flowers continues. Though certainly not yet abundant, the spring beauty is blooming on the Lamprey River Floodplain in SoNH. About two weeks early...

Also found skunk cabbage in bloom, helebore leaves emerging, and am off to find bloodroot, which I know has been up for a few days!

Spring Beauty by Jim Salge, on Flickr

Been seeing these guys for a couple of weeks now in sunny damp spots around Boston, but this time I had my camera ready:

attachment.php

Also the canada mayflower has started blooming (a month early?) though I didn't take any photos.

thamn_med.JPG

Last edited:
A few more early risers...

20120403-20120403-_DSC0071.jpg

Colt's Foot Tussilago farfara 4/3/12 Pawtuckaway State Park

20120403-20120403-_DSC0095.jpg

Spring Beauty Claytonia caroliniana 4/3/12 Epping, NH

KDT

Last edited:
got lots of hepatica shots in Pawtuckaway today, here's a few of the other things I found, in no particular order

New leaves of hepatica:
attachment.php

attachment.php
\

Mourning Cloak:

attachment.php

Saxifrage?
attachment.php

Scat outside a den - can anyone ID? For size, the beech leaf is as long as my foot is wide
attachment.php

continued...

Attachments

• hep_leaves.JPG
    hep_leaves.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 509
  • hep_leaves2.JPG
    hep_leaves2.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 475
  • mrn_clk.JPG
    mrn_clk.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 460
  • sax.JPG
    sax.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 463
  • scat.JPG
    scat.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
unknown shrub: (update: Elderberry, Sambucus sp.)
attachment.php

I feel like I should know this one:
UPDATE: it's Wild Columbine, Aquilegia Canadensis!
attachment.php

Purple trillium (T. erectum)
attachment.php

Unknown shrub: (update: some kind of honeysuckle, Lonicera sp.
Re-update: I think it's Fly Honeysuckle, Lonicera canadensis)
attachment.php

Sessile bellwort:
attachment.php

Attachments

• unk2.JPG
    unk2.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 806
  • unk.JPG
    unk.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 801
  • trill.JPG
    trill.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 822
  • shrub1.JPG
    shrub1.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 814
  • shoot.JPG
    shoot.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 778
Last edited:
Nice!

I'm pretty sure the first shrub with the purple berries is elderberry. I saw the 2nd shrub while I was out, too and thought it was a type of Honeysuckle, but I can't confirm that and the more I try, the more I think I'm wrong.

KDT

The long pistil with spheroidal tip does look like honeysuckle. What was remarkable about this one is that the flowers occurred in pairs - you can clearly see the twinned ovaries in my photo. Also it's interesting that the ovaries aren't at the exact base of the flowers, but a bit to one side. I haven't seen a honeysuckle photo or diagram yet that has those two features, but I haven't tried very hard. UPDATE: clear example of twinned, off-center ovaries here: http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/loniceracana.html That page also mentions ciliate leaf edges as a diagnostic feature; they're not really visible in the small photo above, but they're clear in the full-size original.

PS those slightly purple lumps on the other shrub look more like buds than berries. Elderberry appears to be correct nevertheless.

Last edited:
The couple of trout lilies near my office that bloomed at least a week ago are done now; there's a sea of leaves with no visible flowers. I don't *think* they could all have bloomed so fast that I missed them... I did find a few flower buds just starting to emerge from the ground, so maybe there's a larger second wave coming.

Meanwhile, today turned up a male Horace's Duskywing:
m004.jpg

And, the toadshades in the abandoned garden are doing well:
m007.jpg

Attachments

• duskywing_med.JPG
    duskywing_med.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 243
  • toadshade_med.JPG
    toadshade_med.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Thanks for the honeysuckle ID, nartreb. I'd always wondered what the shrub with the red twin berries was. The twinberry honeysuckle (black berries) (L. involucrata) is very common out west.

Near Mt Greylock over the weekend: spring beauty everywhere! Also coltsfoot, red trillium (mostly down low), sessile bellwort (mostly still budding), some lily leaves I didn't recognize (similar to clintonia but more delicate, with reddish stems), jack-in-the-pulpit, elderberry, honeysuckle, lots of trout lily leaves but most not even budding yet.

Unknown:
m004.jpg

Jack-in-the-Pulpit, maybe
m040.jpg

Bluets:
m011.jpg

One trout lily, apparently warmed by a large metal pipe, was not only blooming but crawling with beetles.
m008.jpg

Can anybody ID the beetles?

Most hobblebush is barely leafing out, saw a few flowerbuds too.
m007.jpg

Saw a small patch of sharp-lobed hepatica. Oh, and the maples are blooming so bright that some hillsides look a little like fall.

Low on the AT just south of North Adams, there's an infestation of barberry (also lots of rose brambles - possibly Multiflora). Needs intervention before it takes over completely.

Porcupine roosting high in a tree - that's a sign of spring since he's not in a hollow trunk:)
m005.jpg

In addition to mourning cloaks, saw lots of Commas and a few whites.
m023.jpg

Plus some large flies that I had to look up: they looked a lot like a miniature hummingbird moth. They were bee flies, Bombylius sp. I read that they not only visit the same flowers as bees, they parasitize bee burrows (they lay their eggs inside while the bee mother is out gathering pollen to stock the nest).
m036.jpg

Less welcome insects were also swarming, especially in the afternoon, but hardly ever bit.

Ruffed grouse, turkey, vultures, hawks, blue jays, flickers, pileated and downy/hairy woodpeckers, a few hermit thrushes (one with what looked like a tick attached to his eyelid), a few eastern bluebirds.

Is that a tick?
m029.jpg

m020.jpg

Oh yeah, and my mom almost stepped on a garter or ribbon snake. (Was reminded while viewing MTruman's album. Is that a water snake in the fourth-to-last photo?)

I've been unlucky at finding bloodroot in the wild for a few years now, but the Flower Bridge in Shelburne Falls has double-petalled bloodroot at the eastern end, blooming now.

Pictures to follow.

Last edited:
My long-anticipated "second wave" of trout lily has arrived in eastern Mass. A few weeks ago a few flowers came early during unseasonable weather, but this is the main event. Lily-of-the-valley is a day or two away from blooming too. My toadshades, however, are finished for the season.

Last edited: