3 Days on Umbagog

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just have to say that since I read this thread a few days ago I keep saying Umbagog. No, not like just Umbagog but as if a teenage girl is saying, "Oh My God" with the "like" included. So in my head I keep hearing this to different things, "like Um-ba-gog" and it sounds like it's coming from some SoCal Valley girls mouth. :D Now, that I've said this see if it doesn't happen to YOU! :p

forestgnome said:
Hey there! Glad to see you're back in action. Thanks for posting images from such a beautiful trip. Makes me want that Canon lens and to take it up to Umbagog.

Any suggestions for a campsite in September/October? PM if you don't want to post here.

happy trails :)

Honestly, of the sites that I paddled past, I didn't see a bad one in the bunch. I'll say this - if you plan on paying for the boat to haul your stuff, the further away the site, the more they charge.

The island sites all looked very cool, but those are usually booked well in advance I was told. Otherwise, the only consideration is do you want a view of the sunrise or sunset - choose the shore of the lake appropriately. :)

Nice! Sounds like a gotta do!

Believe or not I was out on the Genesee River here at home and got an Eagle sighting myself. Very cool.

Even better, I was out on the Finger Lakes Trail for a couple of days - the trail followed a fairly large shale-rock creekbed/ravine up around 800 ft verticle. At the top I surprised a 'large' red-tailed Hawk that flew by me - right about head level and 15 feet away - turned his head looking at me and flew down the ravine below. Very cool stuff in the middle of nowhere.

forestgnome - like Chomp said, there aint a bad seat in the house. If you want to paddle up from the south end then you should go for a site 1/2 up the lake to shorten your paddle on the second day to the north end (if you want to go see the eagles).

- d