3 Days on Umbagog

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chomp

Reaction score
Shortcut to the photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/chompat99/KayakingAtLakeUmbagog#

Full Report:

For Labor Day weekend, I decided to do something completely different. Darren had reserved a remote campsite at Lake Umbagog and I jumped on the opportunity, having heard from just about all the paddlers on this site about what a fantastic place this was. (Especially you, SherpaK.)

So Friday night, I met Darren, Carmel, Darren's nephew Mike and Swamp up at Cherry Mountain Road. We spend the evening cooking meat, drinking beverages and enjoying the pleasant if not clear weather. It was a great night and we were all excited about heading up to the lake on the next day.

Saturday we woke up and heading into Gorham for breakfast and then Berlin for food shopping. All the while, rain threatened and occasionally a few drops fell, but for the most part it looked to be an OK day. We got to the campground about noon and checked in and spent the best $100 you can - we got the boat shuttle to bring all of our gear over to our site. This meant we had plenty of food, camp chairs, music, an EZ-UP in case of rain, etc.. While we all packed quite a bit of stuff, I'm still amazed at the pile of stuff that Carmel dragged out. :)

Mike was generous enough to not only load but unload all of the gear for us, while the rest of us hopped in our kayaks and paddled about 4 miles over to the campsite. The clouds were out, but there was no wind and paddling on the calm lake was pleasant. Having known absolutely nothing about the our site, we were excited to see that right next to the camping area was a rocky point with no trees and a fantastic view facing mostly west. After an evening paddle and more meat, we sat out on the point for a really nice sunset. I would go back out on the boat that night to see the stars, which were amazing, only to see my headlamp fall into the lake. Rookie.

The next day was beautiful by hiking standards, but it was windy and there were small white caps on the lake. Our plan for Sunday was to head up to the northern part of the lake. But Mike had never kayaked before so he wasn't thrilled at the idea, and Swamp tested the water and thought it was a little too rough. Darren also thought that going that far in the wind would be very difficult. Fortunately Carmel and I are not complete wimps and we gave it a shot. :)

At first, it was brutal. A stiff headwind made progress slow, and small waves kept crashing into my small $200 Dick's Sporting Goods rec boat. Still, I found my little boat very agile on the waves, and very maneuverable. About half way up the lake, however, I needed to make an emergency landing to empty all the water out. I guess I need a pump. Carmel and I took lunch and agreed that despite how hard the paddling was, it was a great day, the water was warm and that we would continue up to the Androscoggin River. It was hard paddling again to get up there, but once we were at the mouth of the river, the water calmed down and things turned very peaceful.

And that's when we saw the bald eagle. We sat there for a while and watched him fly across the river a couple of times. We even watched him swoop down, grab a fish and then start tearing it apart. We were less than 20 feet away when he was eating, and you could see the feathers in his neck move as he swallowed. As Carmel said, "That was a 10!" It was a very cool moment and my only regret is that I didn't have a better camera to capture it.

The rest of the afternoon we spent paddling back to the campsite. Going with the wind was obviously much easier and surfing the waves was a ton of fun. By the time we got back to camp, over 5 hours had gone by! This was my longest paddle by far, and my best one. Being out on the lake on a day like that was just incredible. While we were gone, Darren and Swamp had taken Mike out for a kayak as well. That evening, more great food, another great sunset, and a big fire with great friends.

Monday, I took a short solo trip out to Black Island Cove which was very cool. That had to be the quietest place on the lake, and while the lake was again covered with small whitecaps, this cove was completely quiet. I followed a loon for a little while and watch him swim and dive for food. Then it was back to the campsite to pack up, load all of our gear on the boat and then paddle for shore.

I can't say enough good thinks about Lake Umbagog. The campsite was amazing and secluded. The views were incredible and you could even see Mt. Washington from a few spots. The lake is also very quiet, and while there are some motor boats that go cruising by, most of the people on the water are in human powered crafts. Even the other campers are extremely friendly! So thanks to Darren for pulling this trip together - I'll be back up here for sure.

Last edited:
I sat on the shore of Lake Umbagog on Sunday and though quite breezy and chilly it was a treat.

Wow!

GREAT shot of the eagle on the log! That's a HUGE one. Maybe the biggest I've seen; certainly the fattest/healthiest............ :eek:

Still don't believe you didn't flip your yak the whole weekend. :p

Gris said:
Still don't believe you didn't flip your yak the whole weekend. :p

ummm...depends on if you count "falling out" into the water.. when trying to "get out" of the kayak.

i had the best time, chomp thanks for posting the pix and writing such a thorough trip report!!

i decided i really need to live ON the ocean rather than a mile from the ocean. it was so nice to have the kayak next to the water and not have to put it on the car and drive it to a spot to put in. i think between chomp and i, we went kayaking 13 times for a total of around 50 miles in one weekend.

the $20 i spent on the shuttle was the best $20 i have ever spent!!! it was well worth it! and contrary to what everyone may say...i didn't bring THAT MUCH! however, when i called and asked the ranger, "how much can we bring on the shuttle?" and he replied.."well...as much as you want," I was a little nervous i might get out of control!

had a blast, can't wait to go again!!

Awesome pics!
Gotta love that boat shuttle. We spent five days on the lake with eight kids. Lived in luxury the whole time.

Oh, wow. What a fantastic idea and amazing trip!

Something new for us to try next year. :D

I have never been one for fresh water kayaking,but Umbagog is the exception to that. Black Island is one of the best campsites,but my favorite is remote site 29 at the top of the lake.
Umbagog has more than enough to keep you busy for weeks. Metallak Island(the one with the derelict trailer) has the remains of a grand hunting lodge on it.

My favorite memory of Umbagog is frim a trip about 7 years ago. We wwent out night paddling on a calm night with a full moon. I paddled forward and leaned back,almost on the deck,and the sensation was like being weightless and floating.
Thanks for reminding me..

Next year for sure.

What a blast....and what a great way to ease back into New England after a few years in Hawaii....Chomp even brought some (a handle) Doctor and it was like I never left.

This trip was a long time coming for me. The last time I did 3 days on Umbagog was 9 years ago. Every year since then I said I was going back. This year I finally said enough is enough and just booked the campsite and the shuttle. I am glad I did and I am also glad that Carmel, Chomp, Swamp, and Michael could make it there with me.

Chomp covered all the basics....minus me catching the smallest small mouth bass I have ever seen.

Here's some pix (sorry about the bandwidth for you low-speed guys, but I don't have time to make a gallery):

Sunset from "the point" (aka "our point", "sunset rock"):
1854-umbagog-sunset-650.jpg

Swamp fly fishing from the point:
1863-swamp-fishing-800.jpg

The view South from the point:
1870-umbagog-south2-800.jpg

Long exposure shot after sunset (it blurs the moving water):
1892-umbagog-blur-800.jpg

Our awesome campfire with Jupiter in view (the white dot in the left half of the sky):
1899-fire1-800.jpg

Another shot of the fire and Jupiter:
1903-fire2-800.jpg

Carmel trying out my kayak:
1912-carm-800.jpg

Michael's first kayak adventure:
1914-michael1-800.jpg

Michael psyched about kayaking:
1920-michael2-650.jpg

One other thing was that the star gazing was amazing. We saw tons of shooting stars and Swamp pointed out all (ok 3) of the constellations for us. We also got to see two (yes, 2) sun flares on Iridium satellites. It was awesome. They are super bright flashes of light that are brighter than any star or planet in the sky - a really wild show.

Aloha

- darren

A trip up to Umbagog has been on my list of places to visit. Soon. Darren, as always, love your photos. Thanks for this inspiring trip report and the great photos. I may be picking various VFTT brains for Umbagog details in the next year.

Hey there! Glad to see you're back in action. Thanks for posting images from such a beautiful trip. Makes me want that Canon lens and to take it up to Umbagog.

Any suggestions for a campsite in September/October? PM if you don't want to post here.

happy trails :)

We'll have to check that place out some time. My boss is going there next week. Sounds like fun.