3 hikers die from fall after crossing warning barrier in Yosemite

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this line interesting from the article:

Relatives of the Vernal Fall victims, for example, have suggested higher railings and more warning signs.

So, they admit they saw the railing, and climbed over it anyway...

I think we established the fact that 2 of the 3 folks swept over the falls ignored warning barriers 50 or so posts ago.

What I find more interesting is a statement in a recent article about the rock fall that smashed cabins in Curry Village at Yosemite. They have installed temporary barricades around the damaged buildings.

"It's become an attractive nuisance," said park spokesman Scott Gediman. "If there's a fence there and some reason to go over there they will."

So they are acknowledging that barriers don't do any good at keeping people out. Duh

The article goes on to say:

What to do with this large chunk of the popular Yosemite lodging area has been an issue since October 2008, when the equivalent of 570 dump-truck loads of rock hit 17 cabins where youngsters on a field trip were staying.

3 years later and they still haven't done anything about an area labeled "major risk to public health and safety for visitors, as well as park employees who patrol the site."

It seems that Yose suffers from analysis paralysis as it appears some do here

Is this type of thinking pervasive at Yose?

Just stopped in a flee-bag last night for a S,S & S. Im working on the Elk Range as well as some stragglers in the Sawatch Range.

Is this type of thinking pervasive at Yose?

I think it might be pervasive in life.
If we stop and think, I bet most of us have experienced it on many more than one occasion.

It appears the people in charge have a plan. Educating tourists and not placing any more warning signs because they want to keep the park wild.

Hmm... interesting. Wonder how the existance & maintenance of the Half Dome cables fit into the plan of keeping the park "wild."

???

I think we established the fact that 2 of the 3 folks swept over the falls ignored warning barriers 50 or so posts ago.

What I find more interesting is a statement in a recent article about the rock fall that smashed cabins in Curry Village at Yosemite. They have installed temporary barricades around the damaged buildings.
"It's become an attractive nuisance," said park spokesman Scott Gediman. "If there's a fence there and some reason to go over there they will."
So they are acknowledging that barriers don't do any good at keeping people out. Duh
I doubt it. They are much more likely to be saying that barriers don't stop everyone. (Barriers, however, probably reduce the total injury rates.)

The article goes on to say:

What to do with this large chunk of the popular Yosemite lodging area has been an issue since October 2008, when the equivalent of 570 dump-truck loads of rock hit 17 cabins where youngsters on a field trip were staying.

3 years later and they still haven't done anything about an area labeled "major risk to public health and safety for visitors, as well as park employees who patrol the site."

Or perhaps it is just a slow and funding starved bureaucracy acting like a slow and funding starved bureaucracy...

<Flash! This just in!>
The rock walls surrounding the Yosemite Valley are steep and subject to falling rock, falling ice, and avalanches! The Valley floor is also subject to spring flooding!
</Flash>
I move that we block all access to the Valley and put a 20 ft fence around the rim. Trespassers should be shot on sight. ( :) )

To be serious, Yosemite is natural area very heavily visited by people who may have little idea of safety in such areas. (And even knowledgeable people will occasionally die of natural hazards.) Some reasonable measures have been taken to reduce the risk to visitors, but it will never be possible to completely eliminate all risk. I'm not suggesting that the current measures can't be improved, but there is no emergency just because three people got swept over the falls after crossing a fence.

Another possible place to place blame is the entertainment media which feature people doing all sorts of highly risky things (real or special effects) with no consequences or activities (eg amusement park rides) that feature high perceived but little real risk. This may train people to do things without considering the risks. Start with children mimicking their TV heroes...

What is so unique about Yosemite? People die in the hot springs of Yellowstone, on lakes and rivers everywhere, on Denali, on Rainier, on the 14Ks in Colorado, on the 4Ks in the NE, and in a lot of other natural areas. Natural areas are not 100% safe--if they were, they would cease to be natural.

Doug

Given the publicity Yosemite has gotten this season and continues to get, hopefully, the park service and forest service will take a good look at what measures can be taken to pro-actively increase public safety to those folks visiting our parks.

Since we seem to agree that signs and railing warning of the dangers aren't enough to keep some people out of danger, even if it's for their own good, I vote for Rangers all any and all dangerous spots.

They should have full authority to fire upon the masses, but under NO circumstances should they be allowed to shoot to kill. Let them fall over the edge instead. Otherwise, said Rangers/sharpshooters should be armed with rubber bullets an/or tasers only.

"People make poor decisions for a lot of reasons," said Kevin Killian, deputy chief ranger. "What it comes down to is a lack of clarity in peoples' risk assessment. What is the true hazard and what are my bailout options?"

Is ignorance a valid excuse? I think not.

No one "has to" rescue anyone if the the risk to the rescuers life is too great. Accidents are accidents, can't stop accidents and saddly can't save them all.

LOL, I don't know if it reaffirms it, or yours! I definately felt that way at first, (and have softened up a little), but then I can't get past that over 8 miles of walking, it never occurred to someone "how the hell would I get out of here?"

...but then I can't get past that over 8 miles of walking, it never occurred to someone "how the hell would I get out of here?"

It's the tourist thing. That place is filled with tourists. They don't think like you and I. :)

I definately felt that way at first, (and have softened up a little),

My job is done here. :)

Here is the sign I saw at Nevada Falls some years ago.

6297523902_188698f3d2_b.jpg