# 43 Mount Isolation 2/26/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last winter after hearing that the trail to Mount Isolation was packed and easy to reach the summit, we thought we might give it a go. As it turned out, the plan didn’t come together. This winter, with our friends Mark and Natalie Truman, who were to be in NH for a four day weekend, the idea was talked about and we were all ready to go. We decided to get an early start on Tuesday morning at 7:15 am. The temperature was in the 20’s, no wind with an overcast sky. Maybe it would clear up by the time we reached the summit, maybe not.

The initial few miles is where you get most of the elevation gain along the Rocky Branch Trail. Before you reach the Engine Hill bushwack it levels out and with the trail packed, it was a delight.

We entered the bushwack a little further past the unofficial “T” since it had been broken out.

The trail took us through several sections of beautiful birch glades.

Before long we crossed the Rocky Branch River and were at the trailhead for the Davis Path leaving .9 to the summit. Here we stopped to refuel and met Matt and Isidora (VFFT members) along with Kelly and Elmore.
The last section is steep but we all made it up without much difficulty.

We were all happy hikers at this point on the summit of Mount Isolation . No views were to be found, but that didn’t really matter as it was a beautiful wintery scene on the top. We had completed #43 with good friends.

It was much quicker on the return trip. Finishing up at 5:15. Hungry for some good food Mark and Natalie picked up dinner from Red Fox (two for one pizza, steak tip sub and a meatloaf dinner) and met us back at the Lodge at Jackson for dinner in the Great Room with a roaring fire. Life doesn’t get any better than this.

Here’s the link to a slide show of our journey.

http://jimmylegs.smugmug.com/Nature...ckson/28284733_vCVTwh#!i=2393335965&k=pfqvbW7

Mike and Donna

Those birch glades are so beautiful. I can't wait to see them for myself. I love the group pics. Great story.