46th on the 48th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper

Reaction score
4 years ago, after completing the adk 46, and five 4k's in Vermont, my son and i moved on to the whites. for 4 years in a row, we came the last week of august to climb, 12 or more mountains. when we started my son was 14, and just a frisky kid. we started out on day one (due to weather reports) doing the pressi traverse (12 hours) with no plan how to get back at the end of the day (crawford notch was closed due to construction) but we got a ride in less than ten min. from a young lady applying for a job with the amc! -VW jetta with all leather interior *trail magic at its best* then the next day we did the kinsmans then liberty and flume. year one- 3 days- 11 mountains** The next year we did semmi pemmi backpack up bridle trail and out willey range. -3 days -12 mountains** this was a GREAT backpacking trip, new ultra light EQ. meant only 25 lbs each! the first day started with rain and sleet, on Franconia ridge, then there was nice sun the rest of the trip, great views, we loved the bonds!!! (and Franconia ridge) year three found us car camping with very hot and hazy weather. -5days -13 mountains. We swam in Saco river after many multiple day hikes. day one we did Moosilauke, and we gave some AT thru-hikers a ride down to town. At the end of the week, when we needed a ride to spot my truck, a woman we had run into the year before, generously gave a ride at 6:00am to spot my truck at stony brook, and drop us off to climb the wildcats-carter-Mariah. Definitely the highlight of the trip, AND the whole 48, this was our favorite long day hike. the next day, we did Isolation on a clear cool day, and lazed and gazed at views for hours, loved Isolation. Year 4, and Katrina!! my son is now 17, a young man who now leads me over the dangerous river crossings, and said after a whole day of steady rain, lets go for the next one! I’m ok, I got my pack ready to go! He's the one who instantly found the path to owl's head (he started hiking the ADK's tailless mountains when he was 7) we hiked Wambek and Cabot in the mist and rain. Then a very wet owls head, after a night of torrential downpours. we then took a day off to visit a Laundromat. The next day saw sun and clouds on Tecumseh and the two Osceola’s. the rock chute between the two was great fun, and we stopped for some show off pics of rock-climbing skills. the next day was our big daytrip, and decent weather. We did passaconaway to whiteface Then the Kate-sleepers over to the south slide of the tripyramids. Then on to the north end, and down sabbaday brook. We hadn’t done enough research on this route and didn’t realize the numerous stream crossings! we did lots of rock hopping on submerged rocks on tired legs, but no mishaps. our final mountain was Saturday AM was Cannon in the mist. We were the only ones out, we had had a hug and talked of our many adventures together, and how next year at the end of august, I would be driving him off to school to new adventures, and some visits to the whites form time to time for reunion hikes. Maybe finish the 115 in Maine in -06? We hiked down to the sunlit valley below the Franconia ridge still in the clouds, and on the way down ran into a father-son team with clean new boots and daypacks. We wished them the best as they started out on a great adventure. One last note- This was my 46th 4k climb this year, and fitting to an old 46er to finish my 48 on my 46th mountain of the year! Blessings and trail magic to all!
~I wish i was headlight on a northbound train, I'd shine my light through the cool colorado rain. (GD) or white mountain rain!

Grasshopper - excellent report of some excellent times. Lucky you are to have shared this experience, as I know you will hear in the thread notes to come. The magic of the mountain experience is so great to share and pass on.
Congratulations and welcome! (I know you've probably been with us for a while...)

Nice series of trips grasshopper. It's fantastic that you can share these experiences with your son. I keep trying to get my son to join me but...
Love your tagline, I keep getting surprised at the number of DeadHeads on this site!

Last edited: