A few questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridgewalker

Reaction score
It's spring now and I have a few things burning on my mind. I have been taking with me a 300 weight North Face Fleece, and on my back is an EMS Black 200 wieght fleece vest. Well, I don't like taking things that are not needed during the spring, what do you think?
Another question I have read thread about people sleeping in their skivvies to boxers, silks, and Bergalene. Which out the those several do most of you sleep in? I have been sleeping in silks since the summer of this year and I have had mixed results. Some nights I get cold, with exceptions of talking to a tree. I eat well during the day, or it could be my physical build of 6'2 and skinny, flesh and bones. Does anyone match this build and have some tips? Your help would be sweet.

What I sleep in depends on the weather. I sleep in layers and peel off as much as I need to to be comfortable.

I have a Kelty 20 degree bag and sleep in silky pants and light weight cotton long sleeve tee. The silky material is nice b/c I can move inside the sleeping bag and don't get tangled-up! Also, I pack a very light-weight sarong and sometimes use it as a sheet on hot/muggy nights.

Same here, I peel off whatever I need to. I'm more interested in the fact that you bring two heavy fleeces with you? After Memorial Day, I rarely bring an insulating layer heavier than Polartech 200. Certainly not 300, and most definitely not two of them. I mean, if an emergency situation arose, you could always get into your sleeping bag, right?

Even if you're talking about dayhiking, there's not too many situations between June and September when a 200 weight fleece with a rain shell over it won't keep you toasty warm.

Ditto on Explore the East. I would dump the 300 at this point (or if unsure at least one or the other but not both.) I have always found the 200 with a liner shirt beneath and a shell to keep me fine.

FWIW, I am 6'1" tall and opposite of you :D
As for sleeping, I usually sleep in a pair of lycra shorts, but will wear a pair of TNF aurora tights and a bergalene long sleeve shirt when it is colder out. My last line of defense is my sleeping bag, so I am always particularly careful with it. I also always bring a superlight polypro balaclava - I keep it in my sleeping bag pocket at all times - You'd be surprised what an added bit of insulation on your head can do.

When I started hiking the AT 5 years ago, my philosophy changed from always carrying a bit extra to "as long as I can get through the absolute coldest night on my trip with everything on, then I haven't brought too much. Anything left unworn is too much" I am usually pretty careful in checking local area weather reports prior to a trip and I know that damp air is always cooler than dry and consider that when planning my clothing.

It will take some practical experience for you to determine what your comfort thresholds are with your sleeping bag and shelter system, but if you have a backyard, it is a great place to test your limits - especially in spring and fall conditions.

Good luck
Rick

Last edited:
Clothing

Regardless of the time of the year you must bring what is appropriate for the place that you will be. This includes Latitude, longitude and elevation. Even in the summer I will bring a 200 wt. feece top, rain proof shell, gloves and lt. wt. balaclava when I am in the Whites or the 'Dacks, but maybe not the Catskills. It just depends

Whether hiking or backpacking It's best to be prepared for a range of temperatures with clothing that can be combined in ways to offer the most flexiblity and range.

As to sleeping, I find that how I sleep can depend on a range of variables- such as how much I ate and drank(and what), how much I expercised, if I'am having an "off" day or not, etc. Everyone is different in these regards and it is best to become very well aquainted with one's own body. I have experimented with bedding and found that I almost always want a sleeping bag, 25 degree rated for me offers alot of flexibility. I tried using a light weigth blanket in the heat of summer (cATSKILLS)and found that I was a little too cold, while in the Grand Canyon I used nothing (June- the coolest it ever got in the Canyon was 85, but on the N. Rim it got down into the 40's-I still had a SB)

Bring a nice bottle of wine and drink it before bed. You won't wake up until noon the next day, and it will be warm by then.

Wine in the woods

As alcohol when drunk is a vasodilator. Meaning that the capillaries on the surface of your body expand bringing more blood to the surface along with concurrent heat, so that while initially you do feel a warmth, that feeling is short lasting and does not conserve heat. Alcohol promotes heat loss.

But a little toast or two is a fine way to enjoy the evening. Just don't count on it to keep warm.