A Five Summit Day in Acadia

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After loosing a hiking day to rain, the following day, we said; “lets do a hike we haven’t done in years." So we decided on Norumbega Mountain on the quiter side of Acadia to be our first summit of the day. The last time we hike Norumbega was in 1992.

After driving to the trailhead we found that the Goat Trail was closed for maintenance; but open on weekends This was a Thursday so it wouldn’t work for us. Instead we traveled to the Lower Hadlock Pond and headed up the backside of Norumbega.

Upon reaching the summit we met a hiker with her two hiking companions; Isabelle and Tito.
Since we were feeling rather ambitious as this was our last day to hike in Acadia, we decided to hit several of the peaks across Route 3; Sargent Mountain, Gilmore Peak, Parkman Mountain and Bald Peak.

In no time we were back at the Upper Hadlock Pond and headed up the Maple Spring Trail to Sargent Mountain. This was a new trail for us that had the feel of a scene from a Lord of the Rings movie. It was steep with plenty of rocks until you reached the smooth slabs above the forest.

We didn’t spend too much time at the summit as it was late afternoon, so we headed over to Gilmore Peak, Parkman Mountain and Bald Peak finishing up at 6 pm. It was a beautiful day, windy on the summits, another terrific 10.5 mile trip over the summits of Acadia.

Two great hikes in Acadia. Life is Good!

Here are the slideshow: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/23692544_V7V76b#!i=1918182314&k=MrsdSX3

Donna and Mike

Definitely two GREAT hikes in Acadia. You got some often overlooked peaks, but we shouldn't talk about that as it might ruin the secret. I did Norembega by myself just after sunrise (while Nat and Jamie slept in) a couple of years ago and it was such a wonderful and solitary spot. The views over Somes Sound are breathtaking. You guys certainly packed a lot of great hikes (and a good meal or two) into a couple of days. Nice!