A Journey up “Chandler’s Ridge Trail” to Ramble Around “Big George” (4-Jun-2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
AVK4316 had a delivery to make to the shop atop Mt. Washington, and this provided the perfect opportunity to make an ascent via the “Chandler’s Ridge Trail” (a.k.a. “The Auto Road”). RickB and I had the good fortune of being invited to go along for the ride. Once the delivery was made, then we got down to business, i.e. the “business” of rambling off the summit to enjoy the views from several locations.

The area around Mt. Washington is so diverse. Well, first of all, speaking of things diverse and different, you have AVK4316 (a.k.a. Allen) who dressed for the occasion. His “formal” attire (complete with necktie) elicited more than one friendly comment from people we met along the way!
100_1973a.JPG

But aside from Allen, there is a lot of other diversity crammed into the relatively small area surrounding the summit of Mt. Washington.
For starters, there is of course the truly unique feature known as “The Cog”.
100_1953.JPG

And, there are magnificent vistas of “hills” and “valleys”, like the Great Gulf area for example.
100_1960.JPG

But on the “flip-side”, there are some vistas that almost look like they could be in a place like Kansas!
100_1974.JPG

And, it’s sometimes easy to forget that although the snow and ice have departed from the lowlands many weeks ago, there are still many lingering signs of winter around “Big George”. Take a look at the next 3 photos!
100_1984.JPG

100_1992.JPG

100_1979.JPG

As RickB has already posted on the Alpine Flower thread, on Washington & Monroe (as of 04-Jun-09), Diapensia was budding but several days from being in full bloom. There were a few nice patches of Lapland Rosebay but it also was a few days from peak. Alpine Azalea was also just starting up.

It was a very enjoyable few hours that we spent roving around Mt. Washington. And it’s sacrilegious to say it, but I have to say it anyway. It was really nice for a change to ride to (and from) a mountaintop!:);)

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Great photos, John! I love the blues contrasting with the reds, especially in that water shot - beautiful! Nice to see snow is still up in the hills!

Glad to hear the status of the Alpine flora - I'm postponing that trip till next week hopefully.

About the evil vehicle ride... sometimes it is good to take a little break! One of my favorite hiking memories was heading down to Lonesome Lake from the top of the Tram with my kids who were a bit too young to hike up. Gives you a bit more time to enjoy the scenery.

PS.... Allen looks about a head shorter than I envisioned him to be! :D Sorry, couldn't resist.... ;)

About the evil vehicle ride... sometimes it is good to take a little break! One of my favorite hiking memories was heading down to Lonesome Lake from the top of the Tram with my kids who were a bit too young to hike up. Gives you a bit more time to enjoy the scenery.

Right! I expected to be guilt-ridden, too, but the scenery and company were as good as it gets.
Hope you don't mind if I throw in one more shot, 1HH, from a special spot!
232323232%7Ffp5365%3B%3Enu%3D3339%3E78%3A%3E478%3EWSNRCG%3D3277823%3B8%3A337nu0mrj

Chandler Ridge Trail, by Otto Rhode

Amen to the above reports!
A wonderful place, great company, beautiful photos.
In RickB's panorama there's a very prominent peak faintly visible on the distant horizon; it might be Kearsarge.

Snap to the whole thing! Great stuff!

Say what you will about the AR (really, go ahead!), but it sure does make lemonade! I especially like the opportunities it provides to the less able.

Great shots, too!

--Mike.

Exactly!

I especially like the opportunities it provides to the less able.

Took my octogenarian mother and aunt up a few years ago. They were absolutely thrilled.

It's there. Deal. It's not goin' anywhere.

KDT

Took my octogenarian mother and aunt up a few years ago. They were absolutely thrilled.
KDT
I'm sure they're wonderful people, but are you implying something? :)
Hmmm! Well, as I said at the beginning of my report we went “rambling off the summit to enjoy the views from several locations.”
Is that sort of the same thing as going “over the hill”?
If so, does that sort of have an “Over the Hill Gang” ring to it?:eek::rolleyes:

It's there. Deal. It's not goin' anywhere.

KDT

It should be included as a bit on "Life After People," and we could see how long, hypothetically speaking, of course, it would take for it to go somewhere. They could include some sabre-tooth tigers (or bobcats, or pumas, or lions, or jaguars, or ocelots, or, um, cougars), wandering around the cafeteria and eating old Clif Bars. ;)