A long ocean beach hike ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
I guess the opposite of mountaineering is a long beach hike. I'll be in Cape Hatteras, NC next week and am considering just that. While at first (and maybe at last ;) ) it might seem mind numbingly dull, I've seen Orca, porpoise and shark so close I could skip a rock to them. I once saw a sea turtle that had washed up that was the size of a VW. Maybe some mid-night fishing is in order. Maybe an all night hike ? I like that idea; stars, moon, ocean.
My wife and boys will think I'm nuts, maybe I can get my 16 yr old nephew to tag along.

hiking along the shore...

ADacKr and I spent spring break 2004 in Chincoteague National Park off the coast of Maryland. It was early April, the park had just opened and we had a back-country/primitive camping site. Really, we had nearly the entire park, including miles of beach just about to ourselves! Although the weather did not fully cooperate we had a fantastic time hiking along the beach during the day, and paddling in our canoe as well. We still reminisce often about this trip and the wild ponies that galloped through our site everyday!! Also, hiking on sand proves to be quite a work-out, especially for the calf muscles.