A sunny day in the back bays of south Jersey

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daxs

Reaction score
I finally found a kayaking buddy and we decided to take advantage of the great weather last weekend to paddle together. He is active duty USCG and has run several SAR stations and Aids to Navigation stations so he is the perfect person to be out on the water with. We put in about 7am on Sunday outside of Avalon NJ. The sky was still pink from the sunrise. The water was like glass. And best of all no jet skis and very few boats on the water so it was quiet. We paddled to the beaches of Townsends Inlet off of Sea Isle City (SIC) . Jim is in the market for a new boat so he paddled around in my Impex Force 3 while I enjoyed an early morning swim. Then we continued to paddle on the bayside of SIC and cut into the channels off the intracoastal waterway. It was beautiful back in the channels. We did not see another boat for several hours. It was very quiet and all you could hear was the sounds of our paddles in the water. The brids were out in force including several types of gulls/terns that I had not seen before. One bird had a very thin, long red bill that it was using to forage for its food. Out of character for the area, there was a very large buzzard/vulture feasting on a dead common gull. It was huge and the other birds stayed quite a distance away. The Osprey nests were full; many of the birds still young and begging for food. Some parts of the channels were shallow and you could see the bottom covered with some type of snail or periwinkle. There were several sandy beaches that seemed alive; they were covered with moving crabs. Fish were jumping out of the water all over the place and I am surprised that one did not land in one of the boats. At one point there was a school of some type of small silvery fish that appeared to be flying across the water. The water skimming was followed by a great deal of commotion. Obviously the school of fish was being chased by something much larger and some the the smaller fish were getting eaten by the larger fish. The trip back was a bit more of a challenge because the tide was going out and the water was very shallow. Also by this time, the boats and jetskis were out on the water and the solitude of the morning was lost. We spent about 5 hours exploring the back bays. Our legs and backs were stiff as we got out of out boats. On this trip, I had help loading my boat on top the car so it made for an easy ending to a great morning on the water.

Gee Carol, I find it very odd that you work for the US Coast Guard yet can't find a paddling buddy down there???? Maybe you should work for the Air Force... :D

You might of run into a school of Mackeral, small silvery fish, commonly schooled into bait by other larger prey fish and birds....

Sounds fun... I think Warren and I are doing some Hudson River paddling at the end of september...

Jay

Kayaking is work. I know lots of people that own motorboats or jet skis. Its amazing how many recruits come into the USCG without knowing how to swim and are shocked when they realize they are going to get assigned on a boat.

Let me know about the Hudson kayaking. I am going to the ADK's the week oh 9/17. Taking my kayak, mountain bike and hiking boots....a real all american girl week

One bird had a very thin, long red bill that it was using to forage for its food.
I've seen one of these on the Peconic Bay by Jessup's Neck. I think it's an Oystercatcher. Real cool looking bird, right? I believe they almost went extinct. They were destroying the oyster crops so they were being eliminated back in the 50's and 60's, I believe.
I hope to get there again today actually. I'll try to post pics of this cool L.I. paddling spot.
Sounds like a nice time in Jersey. Those quite times on the water don't last long once the jet skiis and boats show up. Getting out early like you did is great!

Indaincris I did some researh on the bird with the long red bill and it is an oyster catcher. I've lived in south jersey for over 5 years and last weekend was the first time I have seen this bird. Possibly becasue we were in a quiet area with no motor traffic.