Above treeline travel tricks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Periwinkle what's this sno- claw you speak of? where do you find it?

"Multi-Tasking: I bought a little gadget, the "Sno-Claw". You can use it as a splint, snow cave or parking lot shovel, snow seat digger, sit-upon base layer, or improvised sled. Amusing, mostly, as in "wwweeeeeee" flying down the trails! Just an fun example of things that can add to a winter hike."

I'll add one small bit of helpful information. When hiking up don;t forget to frequently "look back" the perspective you get going up is completly different than what things will look like going down. Especially in winter when everything pretty much looks the same. Not a big deal in good weather but as visibility lessens those constant lookbacks will help you recall subtle changes that you will not see unless you take that peek back.

KenC said:
I'll add one small bit of helpful information. When hiking up don;t forget to frequently "look back" the perspective you get going up is completly different than what things will look like going down.

This is a good point. Adding just a bit, it is also good to verify that you can tollerate the wind, especially on those days when you have a constant wind. I'll bet I'm not the only person who's climbed a peak with the wind at his back thinking, "Hey its pretty nice out today" only to turn around at the top and wonder how I could walk forward into that wind.

A lot of good advice in this thread...

Something that hasn't been said, but I would say that it is helpful IMO.

I've hiked peaks in winter that I've not hiked in summer. In several occasions I've failed getting to the summit because I did not or could not find the correct trail.

Here's an example - This past winter I was on Chocorua for the 1st time. I got to the Liberty Cabin just fine. Then I tried to summit. It was snowing and very windy out (cold as heck too). The trail was unreconizable. I started up and soon was guessing where the trail might go. I started to go straight up the summit cone. If you've hiked this mountain you know how steep going straight up that summit cone is. It was ice coated snow so the going was slow and dangerous. I turned around and gave up (at least for that day). Later that day while I was hanging out at the cabin cooking some dinner a couple came up that have been to the summit before. They summited without a problem knowing the general idea of where the trail went. I snored alone in the cabin that night in sub-zero temps hoping their snow shoe and crampon marks would still be there in the morning.... They where! Now being able to see which way the trail actually went it was easy to summit vs. just the day before guessing, reguessing, turning around, ect.

In short really knowing the trail is helpful. Snow covers up trails, fog, and white outs can all hinder trail finding. Going up this is only an inconvience of sorts (could be dangerous), but going down in a white out, windy, snowing, ect this could be life threating. A compass and the know how can help, but things happen (ever have a compass freeze up on ya, break, or realize last minute you forgot it). Know the trail, study it on the maps, study your escape routes, ect.

Good luck and have fun! Being above tree line for me is the TOPS!

Great POINT!

dave.m said:
it is also good to verify that you can tollerate the wind, especially on those days when you have a constant wind. I'll bet I'm not the only person who's climbed a peak with the wind at his back thinking, "Hey its pretty nice out today" only to turn around at the top and wonder how I could walk forward into that wind.

Coming down from Madison/Adams 2 years ago I found this out the hard way! My gogles froze up and I had to take them off. Going up wasn't so bad, but then I turned around and it wasn't any fun. I had to hunker down next to Thunderstorm Junc. for about an hour until I could defrost and dry out my gogles. The sleet with high winds was murder on my eyes and face!

haven't read this one yet

... a partner.

I use goggles and a neoprene facemask sized and cut to fit together covering all of my face with "no exposed skin surfaces" This is critical for cold with high wind. Also, the two need to butt together and not overlap or you get breath into the goggles and they fog. So there is a really small gap between the two that lets the air eascape. Even then, it's tough to tell if you're getting frost nip around the edges of your goggles or facemask without a little help from your partner.

Also, I cut one slightly larger hole in my neoprene facemask (3/8" instead of 1/8") to allow for more air flow and also to be able to drink water without removing it.

In high wind, use one long pole like a canoe paddle instead of two. More stable and makes it easier to check the old map or compass, etc. And don't use collapsable poles, they break too easily... right when you need them most.

Lots of good comments previously listed that I agree with.

In general I try to get all the above treeline gear (food, clothing, goggles facemask, map compass, camera, etc) into my pockets so I do not need to rumage around in my pack.

Also, it sometimes helps to flag the last tree at tree-line. You'd be surprized how tough it is to find the spot where the trail enters the woods. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Take it down on the way back.

JHS

Last edited:
Unless I missed something, it seems to me that no one mentioned layering - probably because its too basic. But, being able to get up to the ridge without getting wet from sweat and then being able to be adequately insulated from the elements requires thoughtful layering. I find a fleece or micro-fleece vest is a great insulating layer since it keeps the core warm and allows for evaporation better than any pit-zipped breathable layer could.

In my limitted experience, I also find that a heat source is important. Some carry a stove, some a thermos with something hot in it - usually I settle for some chemical heat pads. They've definitely helped revive my fingers when I had to take my outer mitts off in cold and windy situations.

Last edited:
pedxing said:
Unless I missed something, it seems to me that no one mentioned layering - probably because its too basic.
Back in winter school, we were taught to dress a little cool below timberline and a little warm above (it is very easy to ventilate if it is windy).

Wen you reach the last sheltered spot before timberline, stop, eat, drink, put on clothing appropriate for above T-line, and make sure that any additional gear that you might need is readily available (in pockets, top of pack, etc).

I also carry gorp in a 500cc wide-mouth bottle. Makes it easy to eat through a facemask with mittens on. Can be carried in a pocket.

Doug

DougPaul said:
I also carry gorp in a 500cc wide-mouth bottle. Makes it easy to eat through a facemask with mittens on.

Good point!

A cheaper alternative is to just use the plastic jar from the grocery store that the peanuts come in.

hand warmers

If your hands tend to get cold first (as mine do), it's good to keep chemical hand warmers in your jacket pocket where you can get to them fast. If your hands stop working, as mine did one windy, rainy June day on Crawford Path, it makes it pretty difficult to take care of the rest of yourself.

winter tips

2 points if I may.
Dont let the door close behind you. By that I mean basically dont lose your descent route and dont let weather force you to be pinned down. When ascending it is critical to continually look back at the route you will be descending (given you not doing a loop) dont wait until your descent to make out the route, many times in the winter the same route you ascended looks remarkably different on descent, by studying landmarks,ie boulders, wierd looking trees, ice formations, these may be vital to "linking" up your desent route in bad visability. While climbing in bad wether is very possible, there is a fine line to be reached here, make sure to monitor conditions as you climb, watch the cloud cover, cloud density and moisture content, these are all factors that could "sock" you in and make travel impossible. Ive seen conditions on Washington drop to 5 ft visibilty, thats thin and makes finding your decent extremely difficult, you could miss your ridge and end up on the edge of a ravine very quickly, which can lead into av slopes cliffs and such.
One last point that I always have stressed, you must have the abilty to descend VERY fast if the above stated conditions present themselves, Ive been with other climbers who stress a slow and safe descent to prevent injury, this may seem like a good idea, but speed in deteriating conditions can be the difference between, a beer and a pizza or a horrible bivi above treeline, imo.

Following the trail

BrentD22 made a good point about being able to follow an unfamiliar trail.

There are some things that come only through experience, so that when visibility is low, and the next cairn isn't visible, there are ways to figure out where the trail goes. For example, sometimes the wind will sculpt along the edge of the trail, especially where it turns a slight corner, just because of the wear in the trail underneath. Below treeline, some of these same methods apply, as well as just knowing how trails are generally routed.

Obviously, if the trail is difficult to follow, and other conditions are dangerous, then it's time to seriously consider backtracking, or coming up with some other change in plans that will make your trip safer.

My point is that as you hike in the winter, be observant and it will help you on future trips.

Ohh, I really like the knowledge that's come out!!

I always find my hands get cold when we stop to eat snacks (GORP), so I'm particularly fond of the idea of using a 500mL nalgene and storing GORP in it. That's awesome - No need to take off my gloves!

Great replies! I hope I'll have many opportunities to practice them with some of you in person this winter :D

Fish

A couple more suggestions:

If you are with others and are gearing up before you break out of the trees - check each other for any exposed areas. Tiny exposed areas can get frostbite quick.

While you're gearing up have a snack and drink. It is often difficult to do in the exposed winds.

Each person should have a whistle, and you should keep the person in front and the person behind in view at all times.

In high wind you can't hear each other so have a few agreed upon hand signals.

Tighten your pack close to you as it can be the kite to to take you sailing :)

TonyF said:
Periwinkle what's this sno- claw you speak of? where do you find it?

No wonder you wonder.... I spelled it wrong!

It's like so....http://www.snowclaw.com/index.htm

I've used it for everything but a splint (thankfully!) To use it as a sled, I attached a strap to the front -- my butt's a little wide to use the hand-hold method shown (looks like that's just begging to mash your knuckles on a rock too). It fits easily in my day pack. On the way out, I just clip it to the back of my pack if it's not windy.

I bought mine a while back at McKenzie's in Lincoln, NH.

Another thing to add to the list is to make sure your pack straps aren't free to fly all over the place and come and whip you (unless you're into that kind of stuff lol). I remember being hit on the face by a strap and it wasn't very pleasant.

Fish