Acadia NP

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowman

Reaction score
Heading up there this August.
Looking at the Blackwoods and Seawall campgrounds. Apparently Seawall is on a first-come, first-serve reservation system.

Anyone ever have any trouble getting a space there? I'd hate to depend on that spot and have it be booked when we arrive.

Any opinions, experiences, advice, etc. on these campgrounds and/or others (or anything else about the area) are much appreciated.

thanks

oh, is there any beach camping there or in the area?

It's been a while since I was up that way, but we got into Seawall mid-week no problem. As I recall it was not full during the few days we spent there. It's a little out of the way so sees less traffice. Don't beleive there is any beach camping

acadia

Blackwoods is in a good location if you'd like to be in the middle of the park and have easy access. I found the sites to be very close to each other, and because it was near July 4th - it was nutty. From Blackwoods you can hike all the way to Cadillac, I believe, or take the free (?) shuttle to another trailhead and hike back to camp.

Seawall is much more remote - not a lot of services down that way, but if you are looking for a quiet spot, it's perfect. I didn't have a hard time getting a site, got there early in the morning-- BUT-- given the location, the campground tends to be quite soggy and have more mosquitos.

Acadia is wonderful. Make sure to visit the quieter sides, like Pretty Marsh or take a ferry to Swan's Island. It might sound silly, but having popovers on the lawn at Jordan Pond is the closest thing to heaven, IMO.

-Blue

acadia

check out bass harbor campground.island explorer runs by there.take a 10 minute walk around the corner to watch sunset at bass harbor light and for a coupla dollars more.........plenty of hot water after a day of hiking.

http://www.exploreacadia.com/

Second to Blue's suggestions. Seawall is nicer than Blackwoods, especially if you want to get away from the crowds. If you don't mind driving a bit more once you get to the island and driving around to get to hikes, then Seawall is the choice. Plus, the quiet side of the island is great. SOOOOO...much nicer.

I can't think of any beach camping on the island, in the traditional sense. Not a lot of sandy beaches, in fact, I can only think of one...Sand Beach. Some of the private campgrounds may offer beach camping. Somes Sound Campground offers sites right on the water, but it's not exactly beach...more like boat launch camping.

When you make the obligatory trip into Bar Harbor, I would definitely recommend Cafe This Way for dinner. And, of course, Ben & Bill's for ice cream...I haven't tried the lobster ice cream, YUK.

Yeah, all the beachs that I've been too in Acadia (and that's not a lot anyway) have all been rocky. Very nice rocky beachs but not exactly the type folks would think of camping at.

Jay

We haven't been there in years but you have to go around the bay to schoondic point. Almost no people, lots of tidal pools etc. My kids (and i) loved it. I don't think the campground i stayed at is still there. Have fun

I've been to Acadia about 7 times. The Seawall area is very nice and quiet and remote. The only real tourist attraction nearby is the lighthouse. Everything else (as far as the typical sites) will be twenty plus minutes away. Beech Mountain is nice a nice hike with great sunset views and it is also on that side of the island.

The only downside I can see is the bugs. Now I have never been to Acadia in August but whenever I have spent time in that area, it has always been the buggiest region of the island. There is a small swamp right on the outskirts of that campground. Lots of Pitcher Plants and other unique features/swamp plants you'll have a hard time finding elsewhere on the island. Again, I don't know the bug situation at Acadia in August.

If you've never been to Acadia then you'll probably want to do the Loop Road and check everything out. If you've been there before then the other side of the island offers a lot less crowds and some nice ocean views from the tops of the hills. None of the trails are too strenuous.

As for popovers on the Jordan Pond lawn, that used to be very cool. But the last time I was there, 2 years ago, it had turned into too much of a regular restaurant. Not like the first time I was there six or seven years ago.

oh yeah, the ocean water there makes Hampton Beach feel tropical!