Adams - Starr Lake Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
Date of Hike:2-28-09

Trail Conditions: There pretty much is no trail after starr lake - cairns buried by large snowfeilds. Pick your way up - its a fun snow climb right now.

Crampons are essential for the trek b/t starr lake and the adams summit. Steep snowfields fully formed on this side of adams. We all used poles, but I wished I had brought my mountaineering axe with me. A fall on these snowfeilds right now would have serious consequences and send one for a long ride down. That being said - snow was perfect for camponing and a fall was unlikely by the group and their skill level.

One needs be be weary of potential avalanches of this side of adams right now. There was sign of recent avalanches.

comments:

Perfect neve snow conditions and you can crampon to right below the summit by traversing and making your way b/t rock outcrops.
Awesome traverse of Madison and Adams with a real fun gang of folks as always. Real alpine above treeline in northern pressies right now.

giggy, juniper, meb and drew. Congrats to Juniper on her first winter summits of both these peaks. She earned Adams!