Adam's to Jefferson or.....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The snow drift is a bit up Jefferson and would vary by year of course. You can see it's location here in this May 1998 photo, a light spring for snow. Gary at the Jefferson Snowfield  - May 1998.jpg

Adams and Madison are the easier two Northern Presidentials to do together.

One post says not many drifts but I see a photo of a billion feet of snow in May. So there is plenty of dense, packed snow as opposed to huge swirling drifts or is it literally down to the rocks and ice from the heavy winds??? Info seems to conflict here. If it wasn't for that trench it looks like a fall could result in a pretty long, high speed slide (at least in the official winter months when the snow wasn't softer and wet).
Tim's picture doesn't show the steep drop-off below--not a good place for a fall. If the traverse (following the path) is impassible, it is probably safer to head straight up (or slightly to the right (NW) of) the slope.

Doug

Last edited:
Tim's picture doesn't show the steep drop-off below--not a good place for a fall. If the traverse (following the path) is impassible, it is probably safer to head straight up (or slightly to the right (NE) of) the slope.

Doug

The Edmunds Col Cutoff trail provides a pretty cool view into Jefferson Ravine. It's definitely quite a drop though, and not an trail I'd really want to do in winter. I wonder if Six Husbands plus crampons and an ice ace would be an easier descent in winter than summer. My buddy did Jefferson from Gray Knob via RP and they stayed west of the snowfield (close to the Cornice) and just walk up the cone from there without issue.

Tim's picture doesn't show the steep drop-off below--not a good place for a fall. If the traverse (following the path) is impassible, it is probably safer to head straight up (or slightly to the right (NW) of) the slope.
I just fixed my post--it should have read "(NW of) the slope" rather than "(NE of) the slope". (The same route as described in your post, quoted below.)

I have crossed Edmands Col in winter (during an S-N Pressie traverse), but I don't recall how we got down into the Col.

The Edmunds Col Cutoff trail provides a pretty cool view into Jefferson Ravine. It's definitely quite a drop though, and not an trail I'd really want to do in winter. I wonder if Six Husbands plus crampons and an ice ace would be an easier descent in winter than summer. My buddy did Jefferson from Gray Knob via RP and they stayed west of the snowfield (close to the Cornice) and just walk up the cone from there without issue.
I've never hiked Six Husbands, but I doubt that it would be easier in winter. It could easily become a winter technical climb and might be subject to avalanche. Also just getting to/from the base of Six Husbands is often difficult in winter.

Doug

Last edited:
I've gone UP Six Husbands in winter.
It's not easier.

Yeah, I can see that being quite a climb. I wonder how the overhanging ledge looks in the deep snow. I don't plan on finding out first hand anytime soon, that's for sure.

I can't condone doing either or both in winter, especially mid winter. Jewell trail is way far away from your goals, and adds lots of exposure, and i dont even think you can acces the trailhead right now.

You can access the Jewel Tr by parking at Marshfield Station. Jewel is the easiest way to get to just Jefferson.

You can access the Jewel Tr by parking at Marshfield Station. Jewel is the easiest way to get to just Jefferson.

As long as we're on that topic what time does the station open for paying the parking fee (which I think was $5 if I remember right from an older post)? I usually hit the trailhead pretty early and I'm curious how they would handle finding my car already in the lot when they open and what they would do if it was still there when they closed up at night. Anybody who can expand on that?

The past few winters, there is a lower lot for hikers - no charge. They have chased hikers out of the upper lot.

Let me add that my preference is to group: (Madison,Adams), (Monroe, Washington, Jefferson), (Eisenhower, Pierce, Jackson).

Tim

Last edited: