Additional Shoulder Padding

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orsonab

Reaction score
Would like to beef up the padding on my backpack's shoulder pads - going to be carrying some serious weight this summer and I bruise easily, delicate little flower that I am. I could just duct tape some foam on but I'm wondering if anybody knows of a kit that can be installed onto existing pads? Any other ideas? Thanks

Depending on the pack design, you might be able to replace the shoulder straps with some with a bit more padding.

Remember that padding does not reduce the amount of weight--it just prevents pressure concentrations. So once you have enough padding, more is not likely to help.

But extra padding or no, you sill still have to carry the weight. You might try loading the pack up to the expected weight and see how it feels.

Doug

Last edited:
Orsonab said:
Would like to beef up the padding on my backpack's shoulder pads - going to be carrying some serious weight this summer and I bruise easily, delicate little flower that I am. I could just duct tape some foam on but I'm wondering if anybody knows of a kit that can be installed onto existing pads? Any other ideas? Thanks
The first thing you want to check is to see if your backpack fits you properly. Most of the weight should be borne on the hip belt. Unless you are carrying a very heavy load, the shoulder strap weight should be minimal. Tighten the straps only enough for balance and to prevent shifting of weight when you move. The fit and adjustment of the backpack to your individual body size and shape makes a tremendous difference in comfort and end of the day soreness. The real solution may be a different model backpack and a salesperson who knows how to fit it to you.

Having said that, when I'm carrying too much I tend to alternate tightening the shoulder straps and hip belt, for variety and to keep the blood flowing to body parts that need it from time to time.

Last edited:
Agree with Nessmuk, as I find that when I have issues with hot spots on my shoulders, I try to see if I can adjust the hip belt to make sure it's carrying most of the weight.

What my problem with my shoulders is that my collarbone kind of sticks up from my shoulders, kind of pronounced and then sometimes the shoulderpad will move, enough to cause a hot spot and reddening of it. I didn't think more paddling would be any more beneficial in my case. Usually this only occurs when backpacking and one of the things I do is try to keep my compression straps tight to keep the load from shifting around, but sometimes it's just unavoidable.

Jay

Also try a different pack. I used to use the internal frame packs in the summer, but then tried an external with the same load and it felt like I was carrying 1/2 the weight. It'll move around more in the mountains, but for trail hiking it's much better.

... what the other's have said. Try to get most of the weight onto your hips.

I try to maintain apx 70% weight on hips, 30% on shoulders. The reality is that I end up fiddling for most of a trip anyway - shifting weight from hips to shoulders and back; it's not a set-it-and-forget-it kinda thing.

And, regardless of the distribution, it takes a while to get accustomed to lugging 50+ pounds. So... build up to it. Do several trips in preparation for your big expeditions, gradually increasing your pack weight. You might be surprised how your body adjusts.

Ok this may seem a bit hard to believe... and I'm not trying to be funny or anything...
However one friend of ours resolved the problem by finding the perfect shape and padding by using ..well um..feminine pads.
She said just forget what the heck they are and made a type of a sock so people wouldn't know ...and that is how she customized her packs' shoulder straps.
We thought it was so simple ...down right ingenious...and saved a bunch of money.

linehant said:
And, regardless of the distribution, it takes a while to get accustomed to lugging 50+ pounds. So... build up to it. Do several trips in preparation for your big expeditions, gradually increasing your pack weight. You might be surprised how your body adjusts.

This is good advice.

About 4-6 weeks prior to a multi-day backpacking trip, we'd climb the Delaware Water Gap, one of our local "little mountains" with about 1000 feet elevation gain, with our packs loaded to 70 or 75 pounds. We'd do this twice a week until the week before the trip. This was great because then when the trip came, carrying 40 or 45 pounds seemed pretty darn light! We've done this at least half a dozen times, and it truly works wonders. And it has evolved into a rather comical event as we try to out-do each other with the oddest items in our packs. :D One year, two of us carried bowling balls, another year we were overloaded with heavy Amp/TYCO/Elcon connector catalogs. One of the best was when we carried a 13" black and white television set, 2 small tables, a lamp, and a 4 folding chairs. We then set up a mock living room a few feet off the trail and sat ourselves in the chairs. The look on the other hikers faces :eek: as they came by was priceless. :D

Last edited:
So I should hike with Tampax around my neck and a couple of bowling balls and a TV in my backpack? And what should I tell the men in the white coats as they come for me with the net? Seriously, thanks for the advice. I'll play around with the frame on the pack a bit more. My problem is that I have fairly narrow hips so my waist belt is cinched pretty tight as it is but I know what you're saying. I'm also thinking of sneaking all my gear into my fellow hiker's backpacks...... :)

spider solo said:
Ok this may seem a bit hard to believe... and I'm not trying to be funny or anything...
However one friend of ours resolved the problem by finding the perfect shape and padding by using ..well um..feminine pads.
She said just forget what the heck they are and made a type of a sock so people wouldn't know ...and that is how she customized her packs' shoulder straps.
We thought it was so simple ...down right ingenious...and saved a bunch of money.

It'll stop the blood flow one way or another. Should we go w/ wings or not?